Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new to me 95 Super Sport (Engine rebuild)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new to me 95 Super Sport (Engine rebuild)
    Posted: June-14-2024 at 5:20pm
Hey guys, long time no see!    I just picked up my second Ski Nautique today, I couldn't pass on the deal. Got a really clean 1995 Super Sport. Has the 351 Pro Boss wiwth 600 hours. Anyway for $4k I couldn't go wrong.  Engine threw a rod, and there is a hole in the oil pan, which is why it was so cheap. I figured what the heck, we can rebuild it, or get a reman. lower and swap it in.

Anyway, I just need some advice or tips if any of you here have done it. This particular boat has the Walter V drive sitting up in front of the engine connected to the PCM transmission.  We are doing all the work at my sons Diesel engine shop.  I just need to know how to separate the transmission and v drive from the engine so we can hoist the engine out?  My 1993 SN is pretty straight forward in this aspect. BUT with this engine sitting in the engine compartment backwards with output shaft facing the front of the boat, I just wanted to be sure that I get the steps right before we hoist the engine out of the compartment. Otherwise, there is tons of room on either side of this engine to work in there, which is really nice. No more cramped quarters.

Thanks for looking and hope some of you have some good insight into the removal for me. 

Dan

'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2024 at 6:58am
I'd probably refer to the GaryS thread in the link below.

link

He removed the V drive and transmission for some transmission work.

Do the same and then the engine is sitting there waiting to come out after removing the muffler, wiring, plumbing, cables etc.

You might change your mind at least a little bit about "no more cramped quarters" when you're unbolting the shaft coupling from the V drive Wink
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2024 at 9:22am
KENO

thanks for that info.  Ehh...both my son and i  have been in it inspecting the tranny and engine connection points. Yep it does get a little "Smaller" up under there, but as long as we can get a hand in there, we are good!   Should be a good project! 

Dan

'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2024 at 12:13pm
How's that long term durability testing going on the rudder on the 93?

I'll guess it's still in progress with no negative results.  Wink

Good luck with the new boat.

I think working on it at your son's shop will be pretty easy as far as rigging the engine in and out.

One of my kids has a SAN with the same engine....it hasn't had to come out of the boat yet though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic