Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Am I assembling the thermostat right?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BaccoBouncer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I assembling the thermostat right?
    Posted: June-16-2024 at 4:20pm
I just want to confirm that I am assembling my thermostat right.  My motor won't show anythign over 120 degrees so it seems like raw water is getting by the thermostat.  Does this look correct?(() => { window.addoncropExtensions = window.addoncropExtensions || []; window.addoncropExtensions.push({ mode: 'emulator', emulator: 'Foxified', extension: { id: 44, name: 'YouTube Downloader by Addoncrop', version: '17.2.8', date: 'March 31, 2024', }, flixmateConnected: false, }); })();
'97 21' Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2024 at 7:03pm
This is sorta like Deja Vu all over again, but it looks like you got a shiny new thermostat cover since last years thermostat questions

That thread is in the link below

Did the problem show up with the new housing or had it been OK with the new one, and just showed up after running the new one for a period of time.

What brand is the new housing?

Since in your other thread you're looking for a new temp gauge, have you verified the temp with an IR gun?

Have you checked that the gauge responds since 120 is the low end of it's range?

You can ground the tan wire that hooks to the temperature sender with the key in the Run position and the gauge should peg high. That at least tells you it responds but doesn't guarantee it's accuracy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2024 at 7:52am
Yeah I'm still suffering with temperature and kudos on the amazing memory.
I did do a temp test where I removed the sensor grounded the housing and turned the key to test if it was accurate.  I had an IR gun ready and a propane torch to hit it quick.  I hit it with the torch turned around and the needle was pinned so hard to the right on the gauge that it was stuck. I think the dial shaft spun in the needle. This seemed impossible to me since grounding it to 12V shouldn't even do that.  The gauge had to be opened, which basically breaks it since it is glued shut to put the needle back in place.  I created an entire other problem.  I need to get a new gauge and then heat some water and try it again.  
The core problem is that when I am running the gauge never goes over 120, I'm not even sure it is moving at all.  I decided to forget about it since my plugs are always a nice "toasted marshmallow" color, i.e. I'm running a good mix and not not getting carbon.  Then the other day it started running weird and the dash emergency light came on. It wasn't oil pressure so it must be temp.  I figured something was wrong with the thermostat, was a good first assumption.  Letting it cool down and then starting it again the light went away but still running weird.  My initial theorry was along the lines the thermostat was allowing water to pass by all the time and then got stuck shut. Basically I'm a bit lost and need to first confirm the temp gauge works before I can further diagnose.
(() => { window.addoncropExtensions = window.addoncropExtensions || []; window.addoncropExtensions.push({ mode: 'emulator', emulator: 'Foxified', extension: { id: 44, name: 'YouTube Downloader by Addoncrop', version: '17.2.8', date: 'March 31, 2024', }, flixmateConnected: false, }); })();

'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2024 at 7:54am
New housing is Sierra International 18-1989, Thermostat Housing.  I replaced it because I could see the internal of the old one had rusted enough to let bypass happen.  I thought that was the issue with the over cooling.(() => { window.addoncropExtensions = window.addoncropExtensions || []; window.addoncropExtensions.push({ mode: 'emulator', emulator: 'Foxified', extension: { id: 44, name: 'YouTube Downloader by Addoncrop', version: '17.2.8', date: 'March 31, 2024', }, flixmateConnected: false, }); })();
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2024 at 8:01am
The debate on the intended chunk missing being interntional didn't jive because it was not a machined/cast feature.  it was a corroded broken chunk missing, irregular shape, thin edges.
The other thing with my old one is that the spacer didn't protrude enough to press on the intake manifold with the gasket in place so the thermostat wasn't seated/pressed against mainifold and allowing bypass all around it.  I also this may have been an issue.(() => { window.addoncropExtensions = window.addoncropExtensions || []; window.addoncropExtensions.push({ mode: 'emulator', emulator: 'Foxified', extension: { id: 44, name: 'YouTube Downloader by Addoncrop', version: '17.2.8', date: 'March 31, 2024', }, flixmateConnected: false, }); })();
'97 21' Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2024 at 11:51am
Originally posted by BaccoBouncer BaccoBouncer wrote:

Yeah I'm still suffering with temperature and kudos on the amazing memory

Sometimes you remember people/threads for various reasons.

I remember you for let's say the sense of humor in most of your posts.

Here's a link to the "stiff steering" thread from a while back for an example Wink

Can you describe the "running weird"

Did it get up to a certain RPM and start stuttering till you slowed down? 

By the way, I had the same chunk missing on one I was holding in my hand back then, but that's all "water out the exhaust" now 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic