Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

5 Qts and dry dipstick

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 Qts and dry dipstick
    Posted: July-03-2024 at 6:19pm
Title says it all.
Late 70's PCM 351

Engine was rebuilt. Filled the oil filter 2/3 and added 5 quarts. Absolutely nothing showing on the dipstick.

The oil pan has a center sump with the dipstick hole slightly fore. Thought perhaps the engine was tilted too far up, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The drill started smoking after about 10 seconds of pre-oiling, so that's all she got. The oil pressure gauge spiked to 60, so there's movement there.

I'm completely stumped. Any thoughts on what's going on?
Boater's Tip #87 - Never offer to rebuild a friend's boat.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2024 at 6:52pm
If you have an old fashioned speed handle I have taped adapters on one and used the speed handle to spin oil pumps.  In short order you can crank up 40 PSI on the gauge and know you have pre oiled.  I tape the adapter to the speed handle because I want no part of dropping a component in the engine and having to pull the oil pan off to get it back.  Tape takes an extra couple minutes.  Pulling the pan takes hours.
There are many combinations of oil pans and dip sticks, sounds like you have the wrong mix.
I am guessing you no longer have the exact same engine block/Oil Pan/Dipstick from the original engine.  
Maybe someone on this forum can measure the length of their dipstick and maybe show a picture of the dipstick tube so you can start figuring it out.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2024 at 7:47pm
Mr McG, like MrMcD asked Is the pan an original PCM pan or a different one?

Same for the dipstick, original or different?

You might be a little high on oil quantity with 5 2/3 quarts in there.

NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2024 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

If you have an old fashioned speed handle I have taped adapters on one and used the speed handle to spin oil pumps.  In short order you can crank up 40 PSI on the gauge and know you have pre oiled.  I tape the adapter to the speed handle because I want no part of dropping a component in the engine and having to pull the oil pan off to get it back.  Tape takes an extra couple minutes.  Pulling the pan takes hours.
There are many combinations of oil pans and dip sticks, sounds like you have the wrong mix.
I am guessing you no longer have the exact same engine block/Oil Pan/Dipstick from the original engine.  
Maybe someone on this forum can measure the length of their dipstick and maybe show a picture of the dipstick tube so you can start figuring it out.

It's very possible that there is a mismatch between pan and stick, but the engines were both 351s and '78 and '80, so I'm still wondering a bit.
Looks like a longer dipstick might be the remedy.
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2024 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Mr McG, like MrMcD asked Is the pan an original PCM pan or a different one?

Same for the dipstick, original or different?

You might be a little high on oil quantity with 5 2/3 quarts in there.

They have to be different. As for the additional oil...2 outta 3 ain't bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic