Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine kills after 5 mins at higher RPM

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Whitefish1989 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefish1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine kills after 5 mins at higher RPM
    Posted: July-10-2024 at 4:13pm
1989 Ski Nautique brought out of LT storage last year.   Changed the oil & filter, replaced the impeller, ran fine all season.  Then at the end of the season it developed a new issue.  Boat starts fine, idles fine, run it up to 30mph and after about 5 mins it kills.  Wait 3-5 mins and it restarts fine but then repeats the process.  Suggestions on what is causing the fuel delivery to drop off?  It has an inline fuel filter which has not been changed for a long time.  I was going to start there but I can't seem to budge it even with a filter wrench.  Suggestions/tricks on how to remove it? or should I be looking elsewhere?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2024 at 8:16pm
After it runs for 5 minutes and quits, what do you have to do to restart it?

Crank it over for a while while the fuel pump fills the carburetor with gas and maybe pump the throttle at the same time or can you just turn the key and it fires right up?

That would help determine if it's running out of fuel or if it might be something electrical/ignition related that heats up and quits working, cools off and then works again till it quits again.

Since you're having trouble getting the filter off, remove the inlet and outlet hoses from the filter housing and remove the filter and housing from the boat and attack it on a workbench Wink

If the filter assembly whips your butt, you buy a whole new assembly to replace it, but I figure you'll get the filter removed from the housing, then get a replacement filter to put back on.

If it is running out of gas, besides the filter you also have an antisiphon valve back at the gas tank that can get clogged with debris.

It's the thing with the barbed fitting in the picture..

The 90 degree fitting screws into a bung welded to your aluminum tank and there's a pickup tube that's non removable below the bung.

The anti siphon valve screws into the 90 degree fitting. 

Externally it looks just like a barbed hose fitting, but there's a spring loaded ball valve inside. 

You should pull that fitting out and look for any debris accumulation and then blow some air down the bung to make sure the suction tube isn't plugged with a lot of junk restricting flow.

It could also be a bad fuel pump.

You could hook a temporary tank to your fuel pump inlet, make sure the tank is vented and run the boat like that to see if the problem is somewhere before the fuel pump or if it's fuel pump/carburetor related

This is all assuming it's a fuel issue and not something electrical Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefish1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2024 at 6:16pm
Seems like it takes a little cranking and pumping of the throttle to start but not a lot.  It has never started right back up on the first key turn, but I also get a little impatient so it's hard to say for sure.   Next time I will let it cool down longer and see what happens.  If she doesn't start right up I will start chasing the fuel backwards.  Thanks for the response - Appreciate your help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefish1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2024 at 6:57pm
One other thought - This is the Fram Model FCS1136M fuel filter, coalescer and water separator.  I am pretty sure it might be the original 1989 filter, right where she has been since the start as my brother says he can't recall changing the filter ever.  Makes me think swapping the assembly out with something new might be easier since it could be pretty corroded.  This assembly is no longer available - any recommendations on a replacement?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2024 at 7:47pm
Here's a good spin on style replacement filter and mount kit in the link below

Available at lots of places at a variety of prices

You'd need a couple of 1/4 male pipe threaded fittings with a 3/8 barb on the other end for hooking up the fuel lines.

The easiest place to find the fittings would probably be on your old filter assembly, otherwise any auto parts store/hardware store should have them. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefish1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2024 at 4:31pm
About to remove the old fuel filter and I don't see a shutoff for the gas line all the way back to the fuel tank and the filter sits below the tank level.  How do I remove the filter without draining the whole gas tank first?  Is there some trick I am missing?  any guidance would be appreciated as I am new to this task
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2024 at 5:27pm
The filter in my 95 was easy, just unscrewed the old one. (like an oil filter cartridge). screwed on the new one.  No muss no fuss.   I would keep a towel and a couple rags handy.  Do it in a well ventilated place.  I really do not remember any spillage or if there was it was very minor.

If you really need to plug the fuel line have a bolt handy that is just larger than the fuel line.  Remove the fuel line while plugging it with your finger.  Grab the bolt and screw it in.  On smaller hoses a pencil can plug it but on the main line you might need a 3/8" bolt to plug it.   It should fit so you can screw it in by hand and have it not leak.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2024 at 6:06pm
Remember that anti siphon valve from earlier in this thread ?

It's main function in life is to keep your tank from siphoning itself into the bilge if a fuel line breaks (or you break a connection like taking the hose off the inlet side of your fuel filter)  Wink

If it's working properly, a little residual fuel might come out of the hose when you disconnect it, very little.

Like MrMcD mentioned you could have some rags or a small container handy or you can take a 3/8 bolt and stuff it into the end of the hose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefish1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2024 at 1:05pm
OK - it's all adding up now.  Thanks for the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic