Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1990 Sport Nautique/No Crank

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
morris2125 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris2125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1990 Sport Nautique/No Crank
    Posted: July-24-2024 at 6:26pm
 Was going to head for the lake tomorrow with 1990 Sport Nautique 351Ford.
Started right up a few time in the garage then no crank, started kicking out the main ignition
switch on the dash right under the blower switch on the right side of dash.
Main breaker on back of engine does not appear tripped. After a few minutes can repush ignition on dash then power to
instruments come back, still no crank. oil pressure gauge pegs out when you turn on key, once again no crank.
It's always something! 
Any ideas?
Thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2024 at 6:01am
Here's the TRB wiring diagram which would work for your boat.

It should help you troubleshoot.

Since when you turn the key, the 20 amp breaker trips at least you know that the problem is being isolated by that breaker and there's no need for the main breaker to trip.

You have a direct short to ground somewhere causing the trip.

I'd probably start by disconnecting the power wire to the oil pressure gauge since you say it pegs when the key is turned, and try starting the engine.

If that doesn't do it, one question would be .....does the breaker trip if you just take the key to Run without going to Start?

If the answer is YES, 

I'd look at the electric choke to see if the 2 wires connecting to the choke are shorted together, or just unplug the positive wire at the choke and go to Run again. 

If the breaker still trips, disconnect the positive coil wire and try again.

If the breaker still trips, look at the excitation wire to your alternator and disconnect it  and try again.

If the answer is NO, and it trips when you continue on to the Start position

I'd look at the start solenoid on the back of the engine as a possible culprit.

I suppose it could be the breaker going bad, but I'd check the stuff above first before deciding that. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris2125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2024 at 1:16pm
 Thank you so much, that is great info.
I am at the lake with my 82 Ski Nautique, all it needs is the front tranny seal.
Can't wait to pull the tranny on that boat! It's always something.
When I get home, I will go at the 1990 Nautique with a list of things to check.
I did trip the starting solenoid and the starer does work. I have a dead short somewhere.
Thanks again.  Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris2125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2024 at 10:06pm
 Just a follow up. After trying all the above mentioned I was still at a loss.
A few weeks back I had put a new tach in. At that time, I did not attach the holding
bracket on the backside. A few days back I put the holding bracket on, and the troubles started.
The bracket must have somehow moved a bit to create a short. Removed bracket and problem 
resolved!
Thanks again.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2024 at 6:50am
Well at least you used some good troubleshooting techniques like asking yourself "what did I do to the boat just before it started having it's problem and could that have caused the problem?"

Sounds like a job well done 

If the tach is loose in it's mounting hole, wrap a little electrical tape wrapped around the housing till it's a snug fit going in. Kinda "backyard hackish" but it'll work till you figure out a bracket solution.

The tape should be good for at least 10 years Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic