Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat wont start, just click

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
flash3102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash3102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat wont start, just click
    Posted: July-31-2024 at 10:15am
So....I have learned so much from this forum about my boat, I figured I would go here first.  

We have had a lot of rain lately and I was not able to run my bildge pump so there was a bit of water in it (1996 Sport Nautique G40 PCM).  It was just barely at floor level and so I ran the pump, left, it rained some more, I came and ran the pump again, and left.  Then when I came back to crank it, it would not crank, I assumed it was probably dead so I tried to jump it and it would not start.  My battery does not sit in a battery box and I read that it should so I took the battery and hooked it up to a slow charge to bring it back up and bought a battery box for it.  Today I put the batter box in and hooked the battery up, and it still did not crank.  However, it did not even turnover, it clicked in the motor which is what it did when I thought the battery was dead.  Everything works when I hit the ignition button, but when I turn the key I just hear a clicking noise.

I do have a less than one year old starter in it, which may have been under water, could it be stuck?  I also hit the three red buttons on the back of the motor and nothing changed.

I have a new slalom ski coming Friday and my 8 year old is going to try it for the first time so I dont need this problem!

Thanks!  
flash3102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash3102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2024 at 11:17am
I may have posted this in the wrong category, sorry but I do not know how to move it to the correct one.
flash3102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash3102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2024 at 11:31am
So I found and read this here http://https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/forum/nautique-topics/maintenance-technical-discussion/485676-gt40-starting-issue-click-click-start-please-help

When I turn the key it only clicks once per turn of the key.

I have a brand new starter from last year.  

I did not think about the relays, but how do I know which one to change?  I am going to go try to pinpoint which one is clicking, if I can, does that mean that is the one that needs changing?
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2024 at 11:31am
Hello Lee and welcome!
Sounds like a starter and/or circuit issue. Are you familiar with a DMM or multimeter? I would check the voltage at the battery (should be about 12v) then check the big wire at the starter. Red lead to big wire and black lead to engine block ground. Should be around 12v. If so then holding key in cranking position , should be about 12v.

Good luck,
Burton
flash3102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash3102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2024 at 11:37am
I’ve got a multimeter headed to the boat right now I’ll let u know thanks!
flash3102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash3102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2024 at 12:03pm
So I realized I was by myself when I got out there so I will have to wait on my wife to get off work to try to crank it for me so I can check those things, but my battery is 12.5 volts, and when I hook the MM up to the starter, it bounces all around, the highest it gets is 3 volts.  I have the red lead on the red wire hooked up to the starter and I could not find a black wire hooked to the motor but I tried it to the other two wires besides the red one and never got above a 3.  Here is a picture of the starter, kinda dissapointed a new starter has this much rust already but I guess that is normal if its sits under water for any amount of time.....
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2024 at 1:42pm
Ok, so if your highest reading was 3 volts, I would remove red wire. Careful it is live! Don’t accidentally ground it. Then connect multimeter red lead to disconnected red wire and black lead to battery negative if you can reach it or any other clean bare metal you can find on engine. You need 12v there to proceed. Also I would bring sand paper or scotch brite pad to clean that wire before reinstalling.
flash3102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash3102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2024 at 1:56pm
I just went down and tried to use a pair of pliars on the solenoid and it would spark and click but not turn the starter over.  If it starts when I do that, its not a solenoid problem correct, just starter?  

I will try that bwinn, thanks!

Lee
flash3102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash3102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2024 at 2:00pm
I meant to say if it starts when I do that with a pair of pliars, it IS a solenoid problem.
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2024 at 2:22pm
Have you tried to turn engine over with a 1/2 drive breaker bar from crank pulley to make sure engine is not seized (hydro locked)?
flash3102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash3102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2024 at 2:31pm
I undid the red wire going to the solenoid and connected it to the red lead, then took the black lead and put it on the motor mount and it hit 12.5 volts and held steady.....the nut is stuck in the socket so I am working on that so I just disconnected the battery so I dont have a fire! I am going to clean up the end of the hot wire before I put it back together.  So it looks like I do not have bad wires coming from the battery correct?
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2024 at 2:45pm
Correct. As long as you have 12v there and 12v on small wire (yellow?) while your holding key to crank position, and the engine turns over with a breaker bar, it is safe to assume that starter is garbage. Wouldn’t be a surprise if it was under water for some time…

Regular rotation engine I think? Not recommended because of spark risk but you could get a starter from auto parts store but be aware of risks….

Check out
https://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50109&PID=600280&title=2002-sn-gt40-starter-problem#600280
flash3102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash3102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2024 at 1:10pm
Well, I went and bought a new starter ($158) from White Lake Marine, and put it in, fired up like it was brand new!  The old one did not spin when I hooked it up to jumper cables and a battery so I new it was bad.  

I spent all day just about trying to get those two bolts out trying to get the starter off.  I had sockets with extensions, wrenches and it was bad, especially the one on the back side.  

Putting it back on, someone said, you think you can get a drill in there?  I said "no way, theres not enough room."  Sure enough, he handed me a dewalt drill and I put the two bolts in in about 10 seconds.......learned a lot if I ever have to do it again.  I bet I wont forget the bildge pump again!
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2024 at 1:42pm
Are you sure it's just rain filling the boat up?  Does it sit in the water or up on a lift?  Takes a lot of rain to fill the bilge but if it's in the water you might have a leak, which often involves the mufflers.  Either way, you should get a cover that covers the whole boat, front deck included.

Have fun skiing today!
Builder
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2024 at 3:35pm
Flash

A curious person would wonder why you don't have an automatic bilge pump. 

An answer like "it'll run my battery down" and the boat won't start don't exactly fly.

In this case your manual bilge pump depended on you to start it instead of "Otto" and you killed your starter and the boat didn't start.

If you put in an Auto pump and keep your checking/pumping routine the same as it is now, then "Otto" is your backup to save the day if you don't get there for some reason.....and your starter would still be good.

Or in other words, you don't have to depend on the Auto feature, but it sure is nice to have it as a backup  Wink
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2024 at 6:59pm
Agreed, definitely recommend a bilge pump that’s always has power with a float switch is nice too.

Picture of starter also shows rust stains possibly coming from manifolds. What’s the history on those manifolds?

And what about the new slalom?
flash3102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash3102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2024 at 8:24pm
Thanks for asking about the slalom!  Well, her new skiis came in and I noticed they were a lot heavier than her trainer skis.....but I did not say anything.  As soon as she got in the water with them she could not manuever them and didn't even want to try on two just wanted to go straight to slalom for the first time.  She did not get up but she tried, I think its been a long day, she skiid for 3 hours this morning on her old skiis and then played all days so she was wore out!  We will try again tomorrow.  

As for those manifolds.....I have never messed with them.  Last year when I took the drain plugs out of the back of them, I said "why dont I flush these out" and when I did, all kinds of gunk and rust came out of them and didn't really stop so I stopped and let them drain.  That is something I need to look at though, any suggestions?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic