Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stringers???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
roberts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stringers???
    Posted: June-18-2004 at 10:30pm
i own a 75 correct craft
im not sure what stringers are, also how can i tell if the ones i have are rotting?
never again volunteer yourself
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2004 at 2:35am
Stringers are the longitudinal wooden members that, for lack of a better word, form the spine of your boat. They are located between the floor and the hull. They are installed when the hull is laid up and glassed in. The floor then mounts on top of them.

Open the engine cover, the fiberglassed members that support the motor mounts are stringers, they will look like 2 x 8's on edge. I believe that most of the CC's have two additional stringers outboard of these.

Problem areas with the stringers would include any holes or cracks in the fiberglass that would allow water to get into the wood and start the rot process. One area of concern is where the motor mounts attach. If the mounts have loosened and enlarged the bolt holes a path for water is created. Check spots where anything is mounted to the stringers for signs of water damage. A slender probe, like an ice-pick, can be used to check for soft spots. Be careful not to create any new holes while digging around. Another likely location would be the swim platform bolts. The uppers are just bolted through the transom whaile I believe that the lower ones are lag bolted into the end of the stringers.

Depending on the care and history of your boat, there may or may not be issues. Our '78 has always been cradled or on a trailer when not in use and never spent any extended time just sitting in the water, so far, no problems.
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
boatnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2004 at 12:24pm
Despite CC's excellent reputation some of the workmanship is just plain crummy. Some of the places where dis-similar materials join are the worst. I recently dissected a '75 Southwind. Stringers weren't rotten but were not attached to anything, just encased. They were set into the hull unsanded on a bed of thickened ? resin and didn't really fit that great.
They are made of Douglas fir. Even though the foam was totally saturated and disgusting , the stringers weren't rotten but if they're just floating around in a FG shell, they aren't doing thier whole job i.e. stiffening.
Where the air vents go into the deck is an invitation to trouble.
If you tap on the stringers (or other parts) with a plastic screwdriver end and notice the sound and compare it to other areas of the same piece, you will get an idea of if it is all solid or soggy or delaminated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic