Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Re-Powering 68’ Cuda

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pete gardiner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete gardiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Re-Powering 68’ Cuda
    Posted: June-19-2004 at 2:36am
Questions,
   Found out that my 1968 CC Barracuda(BARR1975) is powered with a chrysler 210. The
motor is frozen / water on the oil dipstick. I'm not into re-building the "210". Have an
option to go with a chrysler "440" or grey- marine "327". Would appreciate any suggestions on which power plant to choose.
Duck Soup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duck Soup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2004 at 2:55am
Hey Pete,

I have a 440 in my Wildcat if you have any ?
I would question if it would fit in your Cuda.
You can only get 1 exhaust system for it now which creates a challenge size wise. But if you can work it out in my opinion it was one of the best marine motors ever built. Built for the long haul with good maintenance. The base HP is 330, mine is close to 390 which is still extremely reliable. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Duck Soup
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2004 at 5:10pm
Pete You have an M style engine in your 66. You can use a 360 or 380 of the same vintage without modification. I agree that I'm not sure the others will fit. I rebuilt my 318 for 2K here in San Diego including a new block and I balanced it. It puts out 250HP and the boat tops out at 50MPH with a 13X13 prop. The manifolds on your engine are as easy to find as MWD's in IRAQ. PM If yoiu are around S Cal. Let me know and I'll help if I can.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2004 at 1:28pm
Pete,
Can't remember if I spoke to you on a previous email regarding this, but think twice about the 440. I'm still working on a 413 Chrysler in a '67 Nautique. It will physically fit but the problems I'm running into are the larger bellhousing hitting the floor before the mounts set down on the stringers, and the exhausts lining up without cutting up your flooring and foam, unless it's already gone. The engine is several inches longer than the 318 as well and begins to encroach on the ski-pole. If you have a fiberglass engine box, no way will the 440 fit. If you have a wood box it's verrrry close and maybe duck soup can give you the dimensions off his, but I've got a wooden 318 engine box and the 413's gonna scrape the sides and I have to lower the dipstick to clear it, and the 413 shares the same exterior dimensions. I like the big engines and will try anything, just be prepared for a little more work.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2004 at 1:34pm
Hey pete,

If you go with the 440 i have a wood motor cover i would trade you for your fiberglass one if interested ive been looking for one!!??(if you have the fiberglass cover?)
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2004 at 2:59pm
Speed Specialities in El Cajon CA has a 318 LM style block bored .60 over if you decide to rebuild your engine. They did it by mistake during the rebuild of my 66 M.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic