NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water Mystery

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Mystery
    Posted: December-22-2006 at 10:36pm
I was pulling the engine from my 87 SN today. When I removed the top (11 o'clock position) bolt (connecting the tranny to the bell housing) it was followed by about half a cup of water/antifree mixture. No water came out of any other bolts. Once I split the tranny/engine I could not find anything unusual. The engine is on a stand now. Once I finish the floor/stringers I can get into it. Any ideas?
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 9:19am
Sounds like the 11 o'clock hole must be tapped into the water jacket, and not a blind hole.

Probe the hole with a screwdriver, and compare the depth with the other tranny holes. I bet you will find it is deeper than the others, or the others have a coating of rust/sludge keeping the water/antifreeze in the jacket.

Should not be a problem. Be sure to coat the threads of the bolt with a thread locker to keep any water from leaking past the threads after you get it back together.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 2:13pm
That doesn't sound too bad. I'll check it out. Thanks.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 9:23pm
Since you had water/anti-freeze coming from this hole, you must have a closed loop cooling system, correct? If so, you should be able to notice if you are losing coolant. If you aren't and none is getting into the oil you should be fine.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 11:22pm
Thread jack: gn, nice to see ya on, haven't seenya for awhile. Merry Christmas to you, your sister and both your spouses....oh and your Mom and Dad as well.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2006 at 9:18am
John,
    Thanks, and the same goes for you and the rest of the family. We'll be with the family this afternoon, and I'll pa$$ on your thoughts!

I've been around and seen quite a few of your posts! I guess I'm not as bold as you are with your thread jacks... I mean expert opinions!! :)

Glen
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2006 at 10:50pm
gn; Thanks for the expert opinion props but I am not so sure about the level of my expertise. I do enjoy talking to all the guys here, maybe to much, just noticed that I have over 1k posts. No wonder Patti says she can never get on her computer!

Rmemeber the Monahan bros, Dan and Scott? Dan is on here and we talk once in awhile. Scott is down in Fort Myers for a visit and going to come up to visit on Wednesday. So that is cool.

Have a great day tomorrow.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2006 at 8:13am
Yes, I remember Scott, but barely. I think he is a little older than me.

Who else from WSWSC is on CCFan?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic