Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cost of Sport Nautique Decals

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Gregg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cost of Sport Nautique Decals
    Posted: July-01-2004 at 3:33am
Anybody have any experience with ordering new boat decals?

I just checked on the cost for new "Sport Nautique" lettering for the sides of our '93. Quoted me $97 per side. Seems kind of high! Is this typical?

Now I'm debating taking off the existing lettering that is curling up from the bottom and leaving it bare.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Gregg
'93 Sport
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2004 at 1:57pm
Is this a decal or vinyl graphic? Either way, $97 per doesn't sound bad. Keith and a few others just ordered new vinyl lettering for the sterns of the older boats and i believe the cost was about $50 - $55. Depending on the size and complexity of the graphic costs vary.

Hmmm, a couple of hundred to freshen the looks of a $10,000 boat, priceless. . . . .
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2004 at 4:52pm
i agree yellowdog.it has been my experance when lettering or graphics are removed from metal,and i guess fiberglass,the sun has an effect on the lettering or whatever.the sun's effect will actualy exray those graphics into the finish.you can polish them out ,and the'll come back.i used to repaint tractors s.ie.kenworths,peterbuilts,ect.sanding the paint off down to bare metal was not good enough.prime & repaint,then park that truck outside and you could read the name of the old trucking co through the new finish.we had to wipe a thin coat of bondo over those old letters to make them go away.i would think you would be upset just trying to remove graphics on your boat and letting it go at that.      they'll be back !
kenny g
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2004 at 5:47pm
The price you have to pay to own a classic,

well some of us are willing to pay at least.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2004 at 6:08pm
i have paid dearly.no regrets at all.
and will pay more to complete the barracuda project.in fact,i'm shopping for my next project.me & polyhead will go to indy after the the weekend & check out a 68 mustang ss.
i'm still trying to get my trailer hitch on that 68 AL TYLL SKIER .
i just love these classics !
kenny g
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2004 at 5:03am
Gotta love and preserve em"
Carl View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2004 at 8:57pm
Where do you get the graphics? I'm looking for some to put on my 94 Ski Nautique.
KBarron View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KBarron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2004 at 1:38pm
We just bought a 1990 Sport Nautique. The dealer took off the old lettering and replaced it with decals with the big block font used on Ski Nautiques. NOT CORRECT! I am thinking about taking off the lettering the dealer put on and replacing it with the correct lettering for the boat (script). You can still see the shadows of the old lettering underneath. I was just wondering. Since I am an artist, WOULDN'T IT BE MORE PERMANENT AND BETTER TO ACUALLY PAINT THE NEW LETTERING ON RATHER THAN USE VINYL????? HAS ANYONE OUT THERE DONE THIS? ALSO, IF I DO DECIDE TO PAINT OR GO WITH VINYL THAT LOOKS LIKE THE ORIGINAL FONT, HOW DO I GET THE NEW INCORRECT DECALS OFF? ANY HELP APPRECIATED!
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2004 at 11:42am
KBarron,

Paint vs. decals: I do not know when CC switched from hand painted lettering to the decals. I would think the main reason for the switch was cost and time. It takes a special talent to hand paint the lettering as opposed to applying a decal.

As for durability, I can only address the painted style. Only problem I have encountered is that when some people (who, for my personal protection, shall remain nameless) tie the boat up to a dock are not very careful with protecting the sides of the hull. End result is a lot of scratches in the paint that require touch-up. Will the vinyl type decals used today do the same? I do not know.

As for getting the existing decals off, it depends on what they are made of. If they are vinyl, a heat gun or good hair dryer will soften them up enough to peal off. Some of the instructions tell you to use a liquid soap and water mixed to a gell that will loosen the vinyl. If they are real decals, try a auto paint store for a stripper that will remove the decal but not harm the gel coat.

Last thing, do NOT use a razor blade, I guarantee you will get a gouge in the gel coat.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2004 at 4:16pm
Don, the vinyl decals scratch just like the paint. I put a nice line through my new AWSA sticker, At least it still looks good at a distance and I only caught the one.
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2004 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Don, the vinyl decals scratch just like the paint. I put a nice line through my new AWSA sticker, At least it still looks good at a distance and I only caught the one.

YIKES! AT least Dennis has more of them! Given the company that the '78 keeps, I picked up two complete sets last spring!

I did not mean to infer that the decals would not scratch, just that from my experience it is easier to replace a decal than to touch up the paint. Like I have said before, I am an engineer, not a painter. My painting is so bad that the wife will not let me paint a white wall in the house.
WRoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2004 at 6:05pm
I have replaced the decals several times and it is very easy if you use a heat gun. Warm the letters until they are soft and the letters will peel off easliy. NOTE: Do not hold the heat gun in one place and do not get the Gel Kote hot it will dis-colour.
Anotheer suggestion, if your replace the decals cut polish your boat before you replace your decals, this should eliminate the diffrence in colour. I use a 3M product part number 5928 with a wool pad.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic