Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

trailer tires

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hadder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hadder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trailer tires
    Posted: August-09-2004 at 2:42am
Goodyear Marathons in the ST205/75r14 are definately the way to go. They are a bit more pricey; however they will last for years. I manage a tire store & stock 2 sizes of the Marathon. I have customer who have had them on their trailer (including myself) close to a decade. You will have just over 26" overall diameter with those.
cshire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2004 at 12:02am
Thanks for the input. Looks like Goodyear is the way to go.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2004 at 12:38pm
Yes, that is what I have the Marathons. Mine are rated to 1850lbs/ea. at 50psi maximum. My boat weighs 2200lbs. So, will full tank and trailer weight, I am under the load limit. I am very pleased with the Goodyear tires.
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2004 at 3:49am
You can also get Goodyear Marathons in a white letter version.
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2004 at 4:25am
My 66" Atwood (original C.C.) has Goodyear Marathon Trailer radials on it. The size is: ST 225 75 R15 for trailer service only, 4 ply tread, 2 polyester + 2 steel, sidewall 2 ply polyester, load range D, 2570 lbs. @ 60 psi. cold. Dims are: 28.5" with 3" to the underneath of a round fender, Boat on trailer + 30 gals. of gas. Excellent tires! I own three, and when they are gone, I'll buy three more! I tow mine down I-75 to Tenn., 540 Mi. round trip almost every weekend. My Wildcat weighs approx. 2850 lbs..
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2004 at 2:09am
Trailer is the flat top design and according to the original papers, it came from Midwest Correct Craft with 205-75-14's. Just measured the tires again, right at 27 inched. There is about 3 1/2 inches of clearance at the top of the tire. Can't see there being a clearance issue in normal use. Still running the original white spoke 'mag' rims as Correct Craft called them.

Not sure but I think you'd have to get a 60 profile to make your 24 inch limit on a 14 inch rim.
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2004 at 5:11pm
Goodyear has a trailer tire that can handle the load no problem. I forget the name (Mountain something). It is a bit on the pricey side, but a good tire that you can have confidence in. I am currently using Goodyears trailer tire and am very pleased with the durability.
cshire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2004 at 4:03pm
No problems getting the 27" under the fender? I was guessing at 24" overall diameter to fit under fenders and allow a couple of inches clearance for suspension flex.

Does your trailer have the rounded fenders or the squared off, 3 panel fenders?
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2004 at 3:45pm
Our '78 has ST205-75-14 tires rated at 1760# each @ 50 psi. Outside diameter is closer to 27 inches.
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
cshire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2004 at 10:20am
The mid 70's correct craft trailer is currently running on P rated passenger tires put on by the previous owner.

I'm now looking to spend the money for "real" trailer tires. What size and load rating was used on these trailers?

I figure 2200 lbs of boat, 250 lbs of stuff in boat(cooler, skis, vests, etc), 500 lbs of trailer (guess). So I'm looking for a tire with at least a 1500 lb rating. It also looks like tires need to 24" or less diameter to fit under fenders.

So far I'm not finding anything with that load capacity, under 24" overall diameter in a 14" or 15" rim.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic