Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Extended Pylon

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extended Pylon
    Posted: July-13-2004 at 1:31pm
What are your opinions on extended pylons?

I was thinking about getting one, since I don't really want a tower. Are there any downsides? I would think it could put more torque on the joint where the pylon meets the hull.

Any recommendations on what type to get?

Thanks
trauski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trauski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2004 at 8:25pm
had i guy in my ski club buy a boat that had used and extended pylon alot. he had to reglass in a new pylon as it pretty much ruined his boat,a ski nautique 176 , cant remember the year but not that old.
1993 ski nautique,pro-boss,14/16 OJ 4-blade,perfect-pass,dual mirrors on top
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2004 at 10:06pm
I think the extended pylon is an excellent idea! The extra stress is tamed by a cable to the bow, and since you own a Correct Craft, you have the perfect anchor for the cable, the bow lifting eye! You can ski with passengers in the back seat, without fear of being decapitated. I plan on mounting a clamp-on top on mine, the only drawback I can see is, you have to cut a hole in your bimini top. As for the guy that had trouble with his pylon, I could pull a house down the lake with mine!
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2004 at 5:24pm
I have a Fly-High extended pylon and haven't
had any problems with it. However there are limits on how far to the left and right you should go when boarding and it is not recommended for slalom skiing. Also, you shouldn't use the bow lifting eye for the support cable. The lifing eye is not intended to be torqued. A friend of mind did this on his boat and ended up bending the rod that extends down to the hull and cracking the fiberglass around the lifting eye.
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2004 at 6:57pm
Have to agree with marks on using the lifting eye as an anchor point. Take a good look at how these eyes are installed, they are meant for vertical loading only. There is very little reinforcing in the deck to resist any lateral loading.

Secondly, the load path on the original pylon is now changed. The plyon anchoring is designed to resist the eccentric forces applied when pulling a skier. When the height of the pylon is increased you are now asking the pylon supports to take a vertical load that they were not designed for.

Third, there was an accident locally where the bow cable failed, I do not know if the cable failed or it was installed wrong. Regardless, the result was that the person in the observers seat was injured by the added pole section when it snapped off the original pylon and kicked back. No one in the back seat at the time or I am sure they would have been injured as well.

Then again, I am sure that the manufacturer's of these extended pylons cover all these things in their warranties so the resulting claims for medical bills and hull repairs would be covered items. On the other hand they probably tell you they are not covered, wonder why?
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2004 at 12:41am
My lifting eyes, both were laid in, in 4/66. I have 1/4" X 2' X 2" angle on each side of a 1" threaded rod,welded to it, approxametley 8" long, bolted to the bulkhead in the front, and to supports at the transom. If they are not made for lateral, or anglular movement, how do you moor the boat to a dock? As for my pylon, it's 2 3/8" in dia., and 4' from the floor, supported laterally by a 5" formed channel 5/16" thick,lag bolted to the primary stringers, the bottom is anchored to the keel with a fiberglassed brass trunion, and 1/2" pin and cotter pin. that only leaves 3' above the pylon unsupported. Tell me how can it go wrong? By the way, AWHITE70, how old is your vessel? And why would you want to screw it up, or my bad, screw a tower to it?
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2004 at 7:55am
My boat's a '79 Ski Nautique. I don't want to screw a tower into it, that's why I was investigating the extended pylon. They're a little less intrusive and leave the boat looking mostly original
buckeyeskiier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckeyeskiier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2004 at 12:56am
Hey, how do you add the extended pylons to the round ski eye's on the original pole? Was thinking that they would not slip over?

Have another post were I am considering an old Ski Tique, and was wondering if I could use a pole?

Also.........can you hook a boom to these boats?
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2004 at 2:24pm
66polyhead,

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, but, the later boats are not built like yours. For starters, there is no bulkhead in the bow. I have not gotten behind the fuel tank, so I know nothing about the stern eye. I agree with you that these eyes are anchored well, however, there is no lateral reinforcement at the deck for the bow eye (at least not in the '78).

Vertical loads are no problem, yet an eccentric load will will force the shaft of the bolt sternward through the glass deck. Even when you take the vectored load into account, you are dealing with about a 2000# side load on the eye. When using these eyes for tying up at a dock, 150# would be a high loading. Anything more and the side of your boat be ground fiberglass from the beating it took.

But, hey, I'm just a dumb structural engineer that tends to worry more about safety than I should. When in doubt, it is prudent to check with the original manufacturer. You can bet that if I were considering adding a pylon (or tower) to the '78, I would be talking to the designers at Correct Craft and not relying on the sales pitch of some aftermarket supplier.
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
1time17 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1time17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2004 at 2:03pm
yes i have my pylon on the lifting ring and have had no problems so has about 5 of my friends who all have nautiques.. anywaty i think fly high makes the best polebut its all in what you want..
gotta love those old school nautiques
custom2001
862001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 862001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2004 at 4:36pm
Have an 86 2001 with a Fly high atached to the lifting ring. 5 years and no problems yet.
John,Fremont,NH
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2004 at 6:59pm
Forget the pylon, they obstruct the driver's veiw in mirrors and are not rigid enough to support advanced/heavy riders. Install a tower.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2004 at 11:37am
I've got a "skylon" installed in my 88' and love it. The attaching point is a nylon (rope reinforced)band that slips through the winch point eye on the front of the bow.so the stress is spread out over the front of the boat instead of the lifting ring. I personally think that towers due nothing asthectially pleasing to the eye but that is my pref. Plus are easily removable or lowering when you go under that low lying bridge. Easier to store in the garage as they take up no room inside the garage either. Just store it on the wall. My pylon has another ring at midpoint just in case you wanna strap on that slalom ski for a fast ride. Don't ski with anyone that skinny that you won't be able to see in the mirror. Less holes in the boat the better off you are. Besides should you sell it at a later date someone might not want a tower on a 79'
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2004 at 2:39pm
BUCKYESKIIER...if you have the old style pylon with a ring on top, Skidim sells a great pole from Flitepipe. it has a large alum bracket that tightens down on your existing pole, not over it. I have a buddy that looked at the picture and then just fabricated his own. 5 years no problems.
okieboater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okieboater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2004 at 3:10pm
BUCKEYE if you take a small pounch you can drive the roll pens out that hold the ring on and it will slipp right out thats what i did but i like the flitepipe thing ive thought about fabbing one up and putting my ring back on
Ryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2004 at 5:37pm
I've got a "Big Pole" I've used on my 86 Silver Nautique for the last 5 years. It's great! I've pulled 2 boarders from the top ring and two from the ski ring and had no problems. Always more fun with more people behind the boat. I have a tower now so I am selling the pole (with strap for the bow) if anyone is interested.....
Get me in the water!
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2004 at 6:12pm
RYAN.good to hear from ya !
big poles & towers are ok i guess.
but i'd have to add a second story to my lift dock.
hell,the 3rd floor could be a sundeck.ya know for sportin bikinies & thongs & such.i'll check with the local planning & zoneing comission on the lake.
kenny g
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2004 at 2:15pm
Just build the third floor. Better to ask for forgivness than permission. We will all be there for support ..or something.
Ryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2004 at 3:00pm
Kenny, I'm in agreement with you. You don't want to ruin a classic like yours with a tower. I think they look great on the nautiques '82 and up. But to put one on an older original boat, it just isn't right. That is unless you follow Rob's course and customize the boat so that it becomes more of a classic hot rod.

As for the sun deck...that might be good in either case.
Get me in the water!
Farkum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farkum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2004 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by trauski trauski wrote:

had i guy in my ski club buy a boat that had used and extended pylon alot. he had to reglass in a new pylon as it pretty much ruined his boat,a ski nautique 176 , cant remember the year but not that old.

I think he had problems before. I have used my ski nautique for towing twin barefooters, quad skiers, double wakeboarders, double slalom, triple tubes and never had a problem. I know that the parasail I tow puts more strain on the pylon than a single wakeboarder off a extended pylon.
1979 Ski Nautique
Will post pictures soon
tedro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2004 at 5:57pm
Hi I'll add my .02 I installed a 10 foot pole on my 1975 nautique had to remove the eye on the pylon to start (big pain) then within a week the whole pylon was moving in it's place, my solution was to fabricate a wafer thin sleeve to pound in for the pin and socket in the very bottom of the boat next made 2 plates 4"by 6 or 8" to sandwich at the floor, stock was only 4 by 4 works great and I'm very glad I did it I also go throgh the bow eye for the stap not the front ring   good luck!!!
tedro
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic