Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Start Up Troubles

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Start Up Troubles
    Posted: April-27-2007 at 11:13pm
Took my 1998 Nautique out of storage, and fired it up today. And there was a ticking noise once I reved it up a bit. The sound was not there last year. All I did was winterize and change the oil. Any hints to fixing this problem?

Thank x
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 11:21pm
Does the ticking noise seem to be coming from the top of the engine? If so, it's probably a sticky lifter or maybe one that has collapsed over the months and has not yet pumped back up. Give it some running time and see if it goes away. Then reply back. Brian
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2007 at 12:05am
It is coming from the top of the motor. It ran fine when I put it away. It probably is a sticky lifter. Anything you can do about it, or will it free itself?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2007 at 6:26am
How loud is the tick? Is there a steady miss that accompanies it or does the engine run smooth? I would run it for a while and see if it goes away if the tick is not too loud. Maybe when the engine gets good and warm it will go away. How long did you run it when you first cranked it up this season? Lifters sometimes bleed down when the engine sets up for a while. Especially if the lifter was resting on the cam lobe against high valve spring pressure since it was shut down last fall.

Former boats:
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2007 at 9:33am
Never discount a simple leaking exhaust manifold gasket. A quick fix will get rid of the noise in this case. The tick from this leak is very mechanical sounding. Try to really dial in the location of the tick, concentrating on where the header meets the head.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2007 at 11:08am
I ran it for a few minutes. How long should I run it for? It is definatley a lifter, i'm pretty sure.
bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2007 at 2:10pm
You can add some Rislone to it. It is an additive with detergents that will clean a stuck lifter. If it continues to tick after a few hours of running it could have collapsed and will not pump back up. I have a bad one in a jeep that I get to replace because it collapsed. I say all this on the premise that you dont have an exhaust leak. Definately check that first....

Brad
PS every auto parts store will have the Rislone. It is in a yellow bottle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2007 at 2:28pm
It doesn't tick while idleing, only around 1000RPM.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2007 at 5:22pm
M3 has a very good point about the possible exhaust manifold leak. Especially since you say it doesn't occur at idle. I agree that you should rule this out first. These two problems make ticking sounds that sound amazingly the same. After you change the manifold gasket, if your tick is still there, run your engine till it gets good a warm. Put it in the water and take it for a spin and let it completely warm up to operating temp (15-20 mins or so). Now, do this only if the tick is not loud. If you have a loud tick, your valve train is hammering itself and damage can result. It the tick is loud or doesn't go away you will probably need to replace the lifter.

Former boats:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic