Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BROKEN STEERING CABLE

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
workky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BROKEN STEERING CABLE
    Posted: July-24-2004 at 1:00pm
Ok so it was my turn to ride ,and on my first fall ,the streering cable breaks.Ive replaced these before.Anyone know a partnumber or how long ,or how to measure.Its a 84 2001.
matsuryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matsuryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2004 at 1:55am
Hi workky,

I'm also looking for the part number. My 89 2001 broke the cable too, and posted the question on this forum before but no answer yet. One thing I got is SN use TeleFlex BIG-T steering and QCII steering cable may be able to fit. However, SN uses special long throw type cable (which has about 10-inch throw, while standard cables only have about 8-inch.) and is not available at SKIDIM or iBoat...
I've purchased QCII standard cable expecting less rudder movement and will fix it on this weekend. Will post a message with my feedback when I get back.

Thanks,
Ryo
mr@japan.com
Ryo Matsushima (mr@japan.com)
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2004 at 2:06am
Workky Call Eric at Midohionautiques, he will have the specs the part number and probably several in stock
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2004 at 12:38pm
Just replaced mine in 77 mustang with Big T helm. The teleflex QCII cable will replace most teleflex cables (including BigT)back to mid 60's.

In regards to "long throw" - i was unaware of this and this is the first mention of it i have seen. It makes sense. See when i replaced my cable last week i had to move the aluminum tube within the clamp block towards the stern about two inches to get the rudders port and starboard motion equal. with a longer throw this would not have been necessary.
matsuryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matsuryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2004 at 5:25am
Looking at first question from Workky, I have to tell you how to measure the length of cable. As I haven't put my cable yet, don't know mine is going to be fit, however you will see the information on the web page of teleflex marine. http://www.teleflexmorse.com/Marine/

I purchased 16-foot QCII cable and will see if it fit.

BTW, I'm in Japan and no operational local dealer available at this moment..

Thanks,
Ryo
workky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2004 at 3:34pm
http://www.fueldock.com ,This is were i ordered my steering cable from (ssc6118) ,is the one i ordered.Its a QC11 cable.I ordered the 18ft because mine was 17.5 ft.They dont make 17.5ft cable, you have to get it from correct craft for 275.00.They also have the cheapest prices i have ever seen.Mine should be here tomorrow ,so ill see how it goes.It also comes with the adapter to make it work with the big-t helm.
workky View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2004 at 4:50am
About that long throw 77 stang.Is this because of the difference in cables,helms,or what?I had to push my tube back about 2inch's to get the throw right,it would turn really sharp left and hardl;ey none to the right,i adjusted the tube and now its perfect.Just didnt know if it was the cable i got or just it was made different .Also Matsuryo,I used a QC11,18ft cable.I might have gotten a 17ft to work,but i dont know about a 16ft,might be to short, I have a 84 2001.
workky View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2004 at 4:53am
nvermind about the throw,i see what Matsuryo has said.im retarded.1989 ,huum,got that 1.23/1 trans,nice.mines fuelinjected
matsuryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matsuryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2004 at 1:06am
Hi there,

I fixed the QCII steering cable to my SN1989, and now is somehow working.
There are several minor issues using Teleflex QCII 16ft cable instead of original one.

1. As SN require long throw while QCII cable only has short throw, minimum carving arc has been enlarged. I believe it doesn't affect when we pull skiers, but it does when we pick up skier after the set, and when we approach to scaffold, as my boat won't swing the tail that much in slow speed. I think it's still acceptable though.

2. As some guest mentioned above, 16ft is too short and I had to go through the cable route from engine room to battery box to connect the cable to the helm. Now steering cable is seen right next to the foot area of driver's seat to dash board. I recommend 18ft length if you order QCII.

If you really want original steering performance, I recommend to order the original cable at Correct Craft dealer.

Thanks,
Ryo

P.S. if you find any dealers who send those original parts over to Japan, please let me know the contact. I posted message to Correct Craft web page but no response..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic