Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cooling System Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
zigman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zigman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooling System Question
    Posted: May-13-2007 at 9:44am
Hello,
I have a '78 Nautique that I recently purchased. I have never owned an in-board before, so this boat is still foreign to me.

I had the boat out a couple of weeks ago and noticed that I had a water leak from one of the rubbert exhaust hoses. I replaced it (as well as a non-working temp gauge), and thought I would try it out in my driveway. I un-hooked the water intake hose and stuck my garden hose in it. However, I am getting no water coming out of the exhaust when I do this. I there something wrong with this technique to run the engine out of the water?

I don't fully understand how the cooling system works, but I assume that something is wrong. I imagine that the external water pump (unsure what the correct term is) should constantly be pulling water in. I assume that this, in turn, provides water for the engine water pump (the normal one in the front of the engine) to circulate it throughout the engine?

Could somebody point me in the right direction as to what to test, or look for? Also, is there an easy way to check that the cooling system is working properly (other than just watching the temp gauge). I apologize if this is a newbie question, but I am coming off a outboard where I would just watch for water pissing out of the weep hole.

Thanks for any assistance.     
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2007 at 11:38am
zig,

where exactly do you have the garden hose hooked up? it should be after the strainer and before the raw water pump.

have you looked at the impeller in the Raw Water Pump? it may be bad...

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2007 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

where exactly do you have the garden hose hooked up? it should be after the strainer and before the raw water pump.

Before/after the strainer doesnt matter.

Zig, your assumptions are correct- the raw water pump is always pulling water into the motor. If the motor was dry, you wont get water out of the exhaust right away- how long did you run it for? Did you disconnect the raw water pump at all? Its easy to reinstall it backwards so it wont draw water.
zigman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zigman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2007 at 1:17pm
TR Benj... I did not disconnect the raw water pump at all. I am letting the boat run for a couple of minutes, and still not getting any water coming out.

I purchased one of those plunger things that push against the intake and let you hook a hose up, but it didn't seem to fit over the intake screen very good. Therefore I just disconnected the intake line from the screen, bent it upwards and stuck my garden hose inside of it. The inake line is not kinked or anything that would cause it not to run into the raw water pump.

Should I remove the raw water pump and inspect something to determine if it is bad, or is there anything else that I could be doing wrong?

If the raw water pump is bad, can they be rebuilt, or do you just buy a new one? I really don't want to take this to a marina to get fixed if I can do it myself.

Thanks again for any ideas & suggestions
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2007 at 5:25pm
Zig,

Inside the raw water pump is a rubber impeller. you should remove the pump and take it apart and inspect the impeller for damage. pay attention to which way the pump is installed, like Tim said, it is real easy to install this backwards.

zigman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zigman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2007 at 7:18pm
OK, I removed the raw water pump and took it apart. I see the problem...a couple of the rubber impeller blades are broken.

Now, my next question is, can the rubber impeller be replaced seperately, or do I have to try & locate a whole new pump? What about the old gaskets? They kind of tore when I took the pump apart.

Thanks again for the info. What would I do without the internet??
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2007 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by zigman zigman wrote:

Now, my next question is, can the rubber impeller be replaced seperately, or do I have to try & locate a whole new pump?
you can buy them here http://skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1029
96 Camaro SS #1157
84 Ski Nautique, fat sacks, fly high pole
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2007 at 11:32pm
You can usually buy them at any boat repair place. If not the first one , then go to the next one . Take the pump and impeller with you so they can match them up . Next thing you need to do is try to find the broken off chuncks of the old one . They may block off your water passage and cause you to overheat . Good luck .

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic