NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Had to see this Barracuda

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Had to see this Barracuda
    Posted: August-17-2004 at 6:47pm
I too recall seeing ads for what I assume is the same boat for an extremely extended period of time in the local trader rag. Was periodically tempted but ultimately passed, mostly because I was looking for a smaller boat than the Barracuda. By your report, I'm glad I didn't end up wasting my time. I did however make the trip from SE Mass up to Wolfeboro and ended up towing home (same trip) a 75 ski tique. Very happy with that.
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2004 at 1:41am
Just returned from vacation up at "the camp." Since last summer, I have spotted this boat for sale in the classifieds. I didn't go check it out as I guess I made no special attempt. Spending too much time in my '68 Skylark!! Anyway, it was still up for a buyer this summer and decided this time I will go to see it.
   I knew what to expect driving south about twenty minutes from Ossipee Lake in NH. I first called the seller in the fall and I was told that it needs to be restored--$2000. Then I wanted to know the color, figuring that it probably was "maroon." Aren't all '67's? Seller said dark blue.
   As I headed south, I called the seller and was told how to get there and that the boat is right out in the front yard--have a look.
   Poor thing...such a beautiful boat just wasting away. Obviously, it had been repainted a dark blue and was faded in spots. Originally, I think that it was turquoise-an optional hull color for the SS-no sign of that now under all that darkness.    Windshield was in surprisingly great shape, most instruments on the dash intact-except 'OMC' tach. Wow, a barometer!! Steering wheel was big and in good shape, the "Ba" was missing/broken from the "Barracuda" chrome piece on the dash, and oddly, a throttle and 'R-N-F' dual levers to the very right-side -on the dash!! Seems rare to me! Has anyone seen one of these?    All the 'once redone a long time ago' upholstery was junk, Looked like alot of new flooring was in order as well. Didn't feel the need to climb on board to have a peak at the engine-though now, I wish I did. Looked too unsafe to get in. I wanted to look for an ID # on the portside engine stringer.
   So after about 5 minutes of looking at it and trying to imagine its former days when this boat throttled across some lake in all its glory, I poked and prodded the tiny cracks of paint/fiberglass below the waterline and ran my fingers along the transom deciding that although it's a great boat, it needs way too much. So, I'll let this one go and when the time is right, one day, I'll see that '69 yellowy-green Barracuda SS in original condition on a trailer in someone's yard with a 'for sale' sign on it...I hope no one else sees it first!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic