Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gasoline Stain

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Barr-acuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr-acuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gasoline Stain
    Posted: August-17-2004 at 1:18pm
The heat of the summer sun and a dark blue cover caused the gasoline to expand and come out the vent. This has left a discoloration on the back of my 99 SNOB. If have gotten it to lighten up some with some Star Bright marine polish but it is still very obvious to a very concerned owner. Any sure fire cures out there?
99 SNOB
69 Barracuda
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2004 at 1:31pm
wet sand with 1000 grit then wet sand with 1500 grit then polish, buff and wax.
Brian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2004 at 1:38am
Try NAPA speedy white rubbing compound and then buff out with Meguires (SP?) marine polish. Works wonders!
Brian
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2004 at 6:49pm
If you have not tried the sanding/polishing route yet, there is another possibility. A product called Rust-Out is made for removing iron stains from clothes and treating well water. Someone else on this board mentioned a similar product for removing stains on the gell coat.

The hull on the '78 was stained from being in the water two weeks straight and also had a similar incident with gasoline. After scrubbing and buffing failed to get anywhere, I tried a bit of this stuff mixed with water, about 1/2 cup to 2 gallons. At first it did not seem to be doing anything, but I found that by leaving it on the surface for a few minutes it would remove the stains. Rinsed it, washed with auto soap and waxed it. The hull has never looked cleaner or brighter.

The stuff is used in drinking water quite often and does not have any effect on skin even in concentrated doses so I did not have any issues with using it on the boat.

Probably not a recommended hull cleaner, but it works!!???

Oh yeah, our hull is white, I have no idea what it may do to a colored gelcoat!
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2004 at 7:06pm
I use a product called "Star Bright hull cleaner" from Wal-Mart. It is a clear liquid. Just wipe it on with a rag and your gel coat will turn white within 2 minutes. Then rinse it off. This stuff is FANTASTIC! My graphics are vinyl and it doesn't seem to harm them at all.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
nauti girl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2005 at 9:26pm
I found this product at Walmart also, after first noticing it in a SkiDim catalog. I was motivated to clean our boat for my husband after seeing how easy it was. He was thoroughly impressed with me.
Nauti Girl
--I think my husband uses his own login now!
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2005 at 10:00pm
Yellowdog is right, but the name is a little off. it's "Iron-Out". You can get it at Home Depots and most hardware stores.
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2005 at 8:56pm
What section of home depot do you find 'iron out.'

my home depot 'crew' is kind of bottom of the barrell.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2005 at 10:27am
You'll find it in the same area as toilet bowl cleaner, isle 11B half way down on the right. If you can't find it in the store then ask around in your area.
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2005 at 9:36pm
Amazing...iron out was on row 11b (about half way down) just like skyhawkflyer said!

Stuff seems to work really well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic