Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RPM increase

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1983tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1983tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPM increase
    Posted: July-11-2007 at 1:42am
The RPM's increase quite a bit just by putting it in gear. Any idea's?
Ron
Mundelein,IL
1983 Ski Nautique 2001 Ford 351 w/ Velvet Drive trans
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 1:57am
Ron...you should see a slight drop in rpms when you shift to forward idle (700 down 600 or so).The rpms should only start to increase as you move the shifter forward where the accel pump starts giving the carb gas.

Does the tranny ingage with a bit of a jerk?

I assume that you are not going just by reading the gauge but by what the engine is doing...reving higher(had to ask).

A couple thoughts here...

Your accel pump may need ajusting...squirting to early.

Or the carb linkage needs ajustment. The linkage should be set this way....disconnect the cable at the carb...move the throttle to forward detent(where the tranny would kick in)...screw your cable connector end to fit in the linkage hole and pop the cotter pin back in...when you move the throttle back to nuetral it will be preloaded.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

1983tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1983tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 2:15am
Stang

The tranny engages without a jerk, actually kinda slow.

You can hear it reving.

Could be the accel pump squirting too early. How do you adjust that?

I checked the carb linkage that way, and it was fine.

Ron
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 2:40am
Originally posted by 1983tique 1983tique wrote:

Could be the accel pump squirting too early. How do you adjust that?

don't worry about it it will not cause the problem you are having, you have a cable adjustment issue or bad cables.
1983tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1983tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 2:45am
The trans cable does have some play in it. Maybe that's what's causing it. I'll try working on it tomorrow.
Ron
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 2:55am
I was making a guess on the accel pump...but will take Chris's word for it that it is not an issue.

One question for you....does this happen in reverse too or only in forward?

If both (fw and rev) then focuss on the throttle cable , if only in forward...then the tranny cable is not set right (or combination of both cables))

Chris...what that last minute word on GL...are ya going?
stang

The Super Air

1983tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1983tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 2:59am
I don't think it does it in reverse, but will check that out also.
Ron
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 3:13am
If it does not do it in reverse....your tranny cable may be the culprit! If it's off some , you will ingage late in one stage and early in the other. I had this happen once , but in reverse....it was solved by adjusting the tranny cable.
stang

The Super Air

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 3:26am
I'm in Gary.

as for the cables disconnect the shift cable at the tranny, have the motor running then manually shift the transmission to see if it goes into gear quickly and with no RPM change, this will eliminate that it is the transmission causing the problem provided it engages normally. Next reconnect the cable at the tranny and disconnect it at the carb and shift it into gear and see that it performs normal, if so the cable is fine and adjusted correctly for that cable, if not then adjust it so that it does. Now it's time to look at the throttle cable in neutral to the forward detent it shouldn't move any and should be lined up exactly with the throtle lever on the carb. Try that and report back and we'll try and sort it out for you.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 1:14pm
Chris...good to hear your in...see ya in a few!

Ron...do let us know if the cable adjusting gets it done!
stang

The Super Air

ac505 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 1:50pm
quick question, is it a carbed or injected engine. If the former, then the above info is good. If the latter, injected engines have circuits that cause a rpm increase when initially under load - as an example when you turn the air on in your car you get a temporary rpm increase to cope with the new load on the engine.
Lorenr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorenr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 7:05pm
Quick Question?

On the 1 to 1.23 transmissions the shift cable can be mounted on the transmission lever in one of two locations. Which is best?

To top location requires a longer stroke of the shifter. I believe the lower location shortens it.

For some reason mine works better in the lower pivot point.
Lorenr
1983tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1983tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 1:19am
Hey Guys,
Worked late today and couldn't get down to the boat. I'll post results when I do, really appreciate the help. and.. it is a carbed engine.
Ron
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 2:22am
Lorenr....which ever works best! I just had my engine out and when I put it back in ,could not remember which hole I had the connector in...I was on the lake for a run and quickly found out! For me , the upper one works best...I had it in the lower one and it would not fully engage in reverse. Does not look like there would be a lot of difference , but there is!

Good luck Ron!
stang

The Super Air

1983tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1983tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2007 at 12:47am
It was the tranny cable.I adjusted it a couple turns and is engaging fine.
Thanks guys!
Ron
Mundelein, IL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic