NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wiring short with Nav lights

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
CCrider89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCrider89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring short with Nav lights
    Posted: July-27-2007 at 4:06pm
Does anybody else have a small change in their gauge readings when they put on the Nav lights?

My 89 nautique water temp jumps from 160 to 170, the oil pressure goes from 60 to 80. Turn the lights off and all returns to normal. Anybody know anything about this problem?

Thanks
Craig
CCrider89
Boating in the northern Adirondacks
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 4:36pm
Your 89 probably has the ground wire daisy chained to all the guages in the dash. You can either ensure all the connections are clean and tight and that wires themselves are good. Another option is to get rid of the daisy chain and ground each guage independently of each other to a grounding buss. An advantage of the daisy chain is the reduced amount of wires behind an already tight dash.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 5:15pm
No big deal. Just live with it.
gary93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 6:51pm
Have a 93SN had the same problem couldn't live with it...Ran a ground wire from the motor ground to the dash ground and then a jump wire from the ground pt on the dash accross to the ground on the switch. Fixed the problem that I had for years. There are many threads about this problem but it is a ground problem...good luck...I would have gone to the battey but chasing the wire from the motor box was not as hard as coming from the battery box. Also I would remove and reconnect each connector to make sure it is tight...
CCrider89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCrider89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 7:32pm
Thanks guys I have to replace the speedo light anyway so while I am under there I will first check my contacts and if that doesn't solve the problem then decide to "live with it" or run a new ground wire.
CCrider89
Boating in the northern Adirondacks
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 9:52pm
Had a guy tell me his "BFN only ran hot at night.I had a good laugh at that one then explained it to him

Munday
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 11:44pm
LOL Munday...sometimes mine runs hot at night w/o even starting it!   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic