NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water Trapped in Hull

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Trapped in Hull
    Posted: August-06-2007 at 1:06pm
When I get some water in the boat, some of it gets trapped in the left side stern, outside the stringer. I'm sure there are holes that should allow it to flow into the bilge but not sure where, and haven't pulled up floor boards yet. Anyone know where they are located?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2007 at 1:32pm
63, Are the stringers still factory or have they been replaced? I don't think you will find any drain provisions if they are original. If they have been replaced and you are lucky then whoever did the work put them in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2007 at 1:43pm
They are original. This problem just began last summer but now won't drain at all, prior to that it drained fine, so there must be something plugged. Its easy enough to add drain holes but I haven't had time to lift the floor and back seat to look.

You should see me, I get on plane, steer hard right, then throttle back to get most of the water into the bilge, I assume it is flowing up over the stringer, then I pump it out. People must think I'm crazy when they see this maneuver.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 9:33pm
If you do add drain holes you need to seal the wood.Pipe cleaners and epoxy is what I'd do.I've also used ballons to hold small pieces of wetted out mat into place when sealing holes thru stringers

Munday
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2007 at 12:48am
I had the same problem on my 62 Classic.
It turned out that a mouse made a nest in there a long time ago. Its nesting material blocked the drain hole. I had a piece of flooring under the seat bases that came up easily to clean it out.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2007 at 2:00am
Where exactly are your drain holes? All the way aft? I'm just wondering if I have to remove the back seat or not.

Munday, I'll seal them if I have to add them, might seal existing ones if I find them as well. I've never heard that balloon trick, that's pretty clever, will keep that one in the memory bank.
phospher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phospher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2007 at 2:12am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

You should see me, I get on plane, steer hard right, then throttle back to get most of the water into the bilge, I assume it is flowing up over the stringer, then I pump it out. People must think I'm crazy when they see this maneuver.

lol, that's funny. not your problem but how you describe your maneuver.

good luck!
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2007 at 10:25am
Mine were a little fore of the front seats. My drain hole is also a little fore of the front seats as well. This is the low point of the boat when on the water.

Maybe you could fish a shop vac hose up your hull and see what it picks up.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2007 at 12:15pm
Fore of the front seats - now that's a surprise to me, I'll look closer. My drain is there of course, but for some reason the water seems to collect aft, or maybe that's just where I see it. I have to repaint my floorboards anyway, plan to do it in the winter, so I'm trying to avoid taking the floor apart now. I do have the large panel that comes out easily in front of the front seats, I'll really duck under and look this weekend.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 12:37pm
You were right, I found the holes through the stringers ahead of the front seats. I fished a wire through to clean them, a bit of water flowed, but after it stopped there is still water trapped all the way aft. Hmmmm .... Maybe another hole aft, looks like I'll have to pull the floor boards after all.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic