NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

depth finder

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1time17 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1time17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: depth finder
    Posted: September-14-2004 at 12:37am
i live on a river a river that has alot of sandbars and shallow spots.. im very carefull of were i go but been thinking of getting a depth finder just to be safe. i saw a uniden depth finder at boaters world for like $90 and its a tronsom mount is this what i want or should i get something else. if so waht kind do you suggest and what kind of mount please help i dont want to run a ground..
gotta love those old school nautiques
custom2001
77stang View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2004 at 1:12pm
i owned the uniden for four years and have been very pleased.
862001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 862001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2004 at 2:22pm
I would'nt drill holes in my transom. The cleanest install is the transducer epoxied to the hull just behind the transmision. This way you only have to run the cable into the bilge, and no holes. I think I bought mine from skidim but not sure. I remember it bieng around $100. Very popular unit.
John,Fremont,NH
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2004 at 3:25pm
I ordered the Uniden unit from Boatersworld and they never shipped the unit. They claimed that the transducer was on back order. My feeling is that they did not want to honor their low price.

I agree, go with the transducer. The transducer simply bonds to the bottom of the hull within the bilge. You must mount the transducer aft of the transmission, but ahead of the prop in order to get accurate readings while on a plane.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2004 at 10:37pm
Hi1time17
I agree with 862001. I put in a Teleflex in hull mount unit.
It's a 2" face gives depth and has a warning horn, can mount in a gage hole in the dash or above the dash or wherever.
Mine is in a 2" pod to the right of the speedometers.
The transducer is in front of the engine near the drain plug for the hull and it works fine mounted there.
Don't know where I picked up on this (somewhere on the internet)but if you want to test it before epoxying it in place, put the transducer in a small plastic bag with enough water in it to cover the transducer and lay it in the bilge where you want to mount it. With the wires hooked up it should work and give you depth readings, if you get good readings, then that's a good spot to mount it. I did this and settled on the spot I mentioned although they usually say to mount it near the back of the boat.

The Teleflex and Humminbird digital in dash units are the same except for the name. Look in a Ski Limited catalog or the SKIDIM catalog and you will see them.
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2004 at 9:48pm
I have a 2" Hummingbird in mine, and have it mounted in a chrome gauge bezel under the
dash next to my blower and bilge swithes. i wired
it to a switch, so it's not on all the time. I found out, like KENO, that in front of the motor is the best place to mount the transducer. I left some water in the bilge, tried the transducer in different locations, weighting it down with a sandbag. I found that where the hull just comes out of the water on plane is the best location. It has a keel offset function, a shallow alarm, and deep alarm function. Bought it from Overton's for $98.00.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic