Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 barracuda floor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Chris_v View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris_v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 barracuda floor
    Posted: September-18-2004 at 4:39pm
Hey All, I am looking at a 1969 barracuda that has been sitting for a couple of years. It had a hard stop on the trailer that had no front support and has some minor hull damage. $1,000.00 to be excact frome my glass guy. Looking at the inside stringers look and feel solid as i can tell but someone redid the floor with plywood and is wet. The floor feels pretty solid but all the places i pull back carpet its wet. They did not glass the floor as i can see the screw heads. Does this mean the striingers are rotten also? I have detailed pictures. If anyone has any experiance with this i would love some help.

Thanks all, Chris
tstafford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tstafford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2004 at 6:17pm
I would take the floor out and check the foam. If the foam is wet, it has to come out. This does not mean that the stringers are rotten. Use a probe and check to see if the stringers are soft. At the very least you should replace the floor the proper way.
Trevor 1968 Mustang
chris_v View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2004 at 1:16am
Thanks Trevor, also could i install silencers "mufflers" on this boat. That way i could flush my system in front of my house with out pissing off my neighbors..

Thanks again, Chris
tstafford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tstafford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2004 at 11:13am
Yes. The area that the exhaust hoses run were filled with foam on the old boats. Dig the old foam out and check the hoses. Do not put foam back in this area.
Trevor 1968 Mustang
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2004 at 4:44pm
As for replacing the floor you get different answers. I asked a guy I know who repairs, restores and recovers sunken boats. He told me he has seen alot of floors that were fiberglassed rot just as easy. He said all it takes is one crack in the fiberglass to let water behind it, trapping water and it can rot quicker. When I replaced my floor, I used 3/4 treated plywood and after all pieces were cut to fit, I took them out and put 8 coats of polyurethene on the top and the edges. (The bad spots were on the edges, where water separted the layers of wood). I put it down with stainless steel screws. The floor I took out had brass screws and almost everyone of them broke off the heads. I also used a high quality silicone on all the seams and out edges where it meets the walls. When I took the floor out I noticed some thin shims here and there,and behind the driver seat where there's less traffic but where wakeboards etc. lay had the worst rot or delamination(no shims). (all rot was on outer edege in spots) So I shimed the floor so that it slightly tappers toward the bilge so water will drain.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic