Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Mount - Snapped Lag Bolt

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
61Compact View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 61Compact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Mount - Snapped Lag Bolt
    Posted: September-17-2007 at 5:02pm
Attampted to remove one of the engine mount lag bolts and it snapped 3-4" down in the hole.   Ideas on getting the remainder out??

Thanks.
61 Compact Skier - Smokey IV
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 8:26pm
Tim, As long as it's that deep in the stringer, put in another at a slight angle so it's just to the side of the broken piece. Was this on your 61? was it a silicon bronze lag bolt?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 11:12pm
Least he knows his stringers have a good chance of being good
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 12:10am
that depends if they where glued in or not, just because it broke means the odds favor glue and not nautral wood shrinkage or rust/corrosion need to look at th broken lag bolt.
61Compact View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 61Compact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 11:22am
Paul,

Yes. on the '61. Not silicon Bronze. Looks like a regular galvanized lag, though I'm not an expert. From the times I remember working on the engine removal and install with my dad years back, he never used any type of glue to lock the bolts in. Just set the engine back in, and cranked it down. There was some corrosion on what I did get out. The other three were in there tight, but I took my time in getting them loose and they came right out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 11:37am
Tim, The factory wouldn't have used any glue. I think it was the use of plated steel lags that created the problem. It was one of the CC "bean counter" moves!! Here's a source for bronze lags.

Jamestown distributors

FYI, My 54 still had bronze lags from the factory.

Edit: The link is for 1/2" but you may have 3/8" lags.

3/8" bronze lags

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 11:56am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I think it was the use of plated steel lags that created the problem.

Or power turns in the 61!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
61Compact View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 61Compact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 2:25pm
Definitely the power turns! Used to run her flat out and throw her into a 180 and slide alllll the way around. How much more fun can you have at 15-16 years old??? Outside of the girls :)

Great memories!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 12:08pm
sometimes you can use L chhannel and thru bolt it sideways thru the stringer and nut and bolt your mount to it, thats a last ditch thing, or jack the side of the engine up and move the whole mount over a 1/2 inch or so
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

sometimes you can use L chhannel and thru bolt it sideways thru the stringer and nut and bolt your mount to it,

Eric, That wouldn't look very original!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 4:08pm
Pete, that OCD is showing its face again
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 8:40am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Pete, that OCD is showing its face again

Eric, You've been talking with the Doc too much!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic