NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RARE Cypress Gardens Flying Saucer

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Tim, your mom is gonna be pissed that you lost a kitchn chair
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 12:57am
backfoot
Did you guys use an aluminum ladder or a wood ladder? How did you keep from losing it? My dad used to ski on the disc. Was a great time watching as a kid.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2007 at 11:36am
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

backfoot
Did you guys use an aluminum ladder or a wood ladder? How did you keep from losing it? My dad used to ski on the disc. Was a great time watching as a kid.

It was an old wooden ladder. We took a couple old ski vests and tied them around a couple of the backside wrungs of the ladder. Floated just fine when you fell.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2007 at 5:15pm
That's it - I'm making a disc.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Geno Geno wrote:

That's it - I'm making a disc.

Geno, I've made several. I suggest starting with was is commonly referred to as "sign board". It is a weather proof plywood with a high pressure, high density fiberboard on both sides. It is designed to be painted and outside hence the name sign board!! I routed the edges with a half oval, coated both sides and saturated the edges with epoxy and then marine paint. Use anti-skid compound in the final paint coat on one side. Forget the bindings! A good lumber yard or a specialty hardwood lumber supply will have the sign board.

As a teen, I got quite good at the disk and even did it in our clubs shows. I did get out on the one I made for my daughter several years ago along with the 3 step step stool. I forgot how tricky it can be!!

Edit: Geno, This is the router bit I have used to get the convex edge on the discs I've made as well as the wake skates I made for my son.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2008 at 1:43pm
Thanks Pete - very helpful!

I have some 3/4" ply laying around and tons (literally) of industrial epoxy paint. I'm going to fire up the router before spring and make one. May look into making a wake skate as well.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 4:33pm
Boy, that brings back memories. I had the ply wood circle type with some fine sand thrown on the wet paint topside. I carried a milking stool through my arm and once up stick it on the disc, manuver it around to where I thought it should be, climb on and turn around and around until dizzy. My local ski club had a large one that some did the step ladder pyramid. Period correct with Hydrofoil skis. Wakeskate, we didn't need no stinkin wakeskate!
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 2:27am
Awesome!   Made me think of a 'ski chair' my uncle used to have.

Did a quick google and came up with this:
http://americandisk.com/
Similar size to what you guys have seen / used? Looks bigger than what I can see in the pic.

I'm totally lost on the step ladder... what was it used for?

tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 11:34pm
Found out what the step ladder was for... just as I suspected. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_jHMu5xRY4&feature=related
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 2:32pm
Sorry for the bonehead questions - totally missed page 1 of this thread.

Thinking about making one of these things today... should the diameter be 3 or 4 feet?

And, if sign board is not available, what thickness plywood is best?   Seen instructions for 5/8 and 1/2 on the net... was leaning toward 1/2 for weight savings, probably a little less cost, and I don't plan on having any heavyweights on it. :)

Does routing the edges make a big difference?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 2:34pm
Ours is 3' diameter, Id guess 5/8" thick. Edges are not routed.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2008 at 3:07pm
Ours was never routed either. Pete's a perfectionist. Ours was half inch, but that was back when 1/2 inch plywood was actually 1/2 inch thick. BKH
Livin' the Dream

tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2008 at 1:07am
Finished v0.1 up this morning and took it for a test run after church.   FUN!   snapped a few pics with a phone... pretty crappy quality:
http://picasaweb.google.com/tapenick/Disk_tryout

Didn't route the edges on this one but may do it on v0.2.   Don't have one of those contour bits but could just use a round off, flip it, repeat.

Just used 1/2 ply... so far so good.

Oh, and purple was the only color exterior paint I had... don't ask. My house isn't purple! :)

Gotta work my way up to the step ladder!
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 1:08pm
My kids are after me to drag the disk down this weekend, someone had one out on Crooked lake last weekend and the boys want to try it now...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic