Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gelcoat repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gelcoat repair
    Posted: September-23-2007 at 4:58am
while loading boat on trailer today, my brother came in toooooo fast and run up on side of trailer. now, i have a small hole (1 in. x 2 in. and 1/2 in. in deep) and a long scratch (12 in) that needs repairing. searching, i see where i need a gelcoat repair. i have an 81 sn and need white in color. what's my best choice for a gelcoat repair kit?
bill
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2007 at 10:15am
Bill, Get the HID off your transom and give these people a call. They will color match using the HIN. They have complete kits that even come with wet dry paper!

mini craft

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2007 at 10:43am
Bill, If minicraft has your gel by using the HID please let me know as I need some too. I have an 81 and they were not able to come up with a match, my only option was to send them a quarter sized piece of gel from my boat. They would then scan it and mix it much like a paint store would. I think the only way I could do that would be to remove a coaming pad and cut a piece out from under it but I don't really want to do that just yet.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2007 at 11:09am
Bill and Alan, The other option is to take a look at the standard colors with their color wheel. I got damn close on my 77 and white is not a easy color to match!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2007 at 12:42pm
81, did you ask if it was on the drawing board? They didn't have my '88 colors in '05, but they do now. Just a thought...
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2007 at 9:42pm
mini craft wanted 100 bucks for the smallest amount of product (pint i think). i found a local fiberglass guy who patched my hole, re-gelcoated where the boat has been run up on shore over the years, and also fixed a few scratches on the other side for $75. shines a lot better where re-coated but looks good for a 26 year old boat.
bill
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic