NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pics of problem, need advice (speakers)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRDon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pics of problem, need advice (speakers)
    Posted: October-03-2007 at 12:46am
I was changing speakers on my 93 sport and I came across a problem where I have too large a magnet to fit against the vynal. I guess I need to know if I can cut out the 3.5" to clearance for the magnet in the side fiberglass. Will I want to reenforce it in that area or will it not be a problem to cut it there. As soon as possible would be great :)

85 2001 351 240hp FS
93 sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 12:59am
Could you not use a shim or spacer ring between the speaker and the vinyl? How far off is it?
TRDon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 1:06am
about 3/4" Obviously safety and structural integrity is utmost. I was just hoping someone knew if it would be safe to do.
85 2001 351 240hp FS
93 sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 1:16am
If it's only 3/4" you should be able to find a nice trim ring to push it out. Do a search IIRC Randy_in_Ohio may have done some upgrades on his +/-93' SN, also do some searches on Planet Nautique, more Stereo upgrades happen over there. Hate to see you cutting up the boat if it's not necessary.
TRDon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 1:36am
I posted it on Planet Nautique, I went and looked and it is about 3/4 -1". It just sticks out too far for my liking. I am taking these speakers from my old boat and they cost me a pretty penny and I really dont want to loose them ,but I dont want to get rid of them cause of some minor problem like this.
85 2001 351 240hp FS
93 sport
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 10:54am
I wouldn't be cutting into the fiberglass in that area if I was you.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 11:57am
Im surprised that the fiberglass isnt cut out from the factory. Im not sure if I would break out the sawzall, but my boat has the holes with no ill effects.

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 12:37pm
Why would someone cut a hole in a boat, that is forever,,,,,,
Kinda like modifying a dash to install a radio,it will never be the same. But whatever turns your crank..............
There is always a PLAN B.......
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 1:17pm
Tim,

Very interesting, were those cut-outs on your boat done at the factory?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Tim,

Very interesting, were those cut-outs on your boat done at the factory?

Im not sure, but I suspect that they were.
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 9:12pm
I had the same issue when putting speakers in my 86 ski nautique. I got a 4 inch hole saw and measured it up and cut away. Came out looking pretty sweet, Nice clean hole
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Why would someone cut a hole in a boat, that is forever,,,,,,
Kinda like modifying a dash to install a radio,it will never be the same. But whatever turns your crank..............

Reminds me of a 1930 21' Dodge Watercar that I knew about years ago in Three Lakes. The kids cut a hole in the dash for radio/8 track and holes on the inside cockpit trim for the speakers. They even came up with a step up transformer from the 6 to 12 volts. Surprisingly there dad wasn't that upset!! I was glad to see the boat go to a collector/broker in the Minneapolis area because he respected the boat. He did restore the boat and of coarse had to replace wood where the holes were cut.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2007 at 10:35pm
But for some of us its not about the boat being a collectors item. A 1930 Dodge water car is one thing, but in a ski nautique its a different story. Its more about the functionality and the enjoyment of having music out on the water
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2007 at 11:17am
It's just fiberglass underneath a coaming pad for goodness sake, it's a freakin ski boat not a classic car.

If you don't want to break out the sawzall a dremel or roto zip with a spiral cutter works well, nice clean cut.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2007 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

I had the same issue. I got a 4 inch measured up. pretty sweet, Nice clean hole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2007 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

It's just fiberglass underneath a coaming pad for goodness sake, it's a freakin ski boat not a classic car.

Alan, You may have taken my comment wrong! I'm all for cutting the hole in back of the exsisting for his speakers. All I said, was that it reminded me of the stereo in the Dodge. By the way, a Dodge Watercar is a boat. It was a prewar that didn't make it. It was the son of the founder of Dodge that ran the company. Absolutely beatifull boats! They made a Chris Crafts look like work boats!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2007 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan, You may have taken my comment wrong! I'm all for cutting the hole in back of the exsisting for his speakers. All I said, was that it reminded me of the stereo in the Dodge. By the way, a Dodge Watercar is a boat. It was a prewar that didn't make it. It was the son of the founder of Dodge that ran the company. Absolutely beatifull boats! They made a Chris Crafts look like work boats!

That wasn't directed at you Pete. Just seemed like a pretty basic thing, if he wants to cut a hole for a speaker do it it's his boat, who cares.. The factory does it all the time. I don't understand the reasoning behind "You can't put it back", or I wouldn't be cutting there. He's gonna fill the hole with a speaker and cover it with a coaming pad, will look nice, no big deal.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2007 at 2:33pm
Pete,

I've seen several of the Dodge boats at the Tahoe boat show in August. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2007 at 3:27pm
Brian, I think one of the reasons I've never made it out to the Tahoe show is that there are TOO many beautiful boats!! I'd want all of them!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRDon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2007 at 8:31pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

That wasn't directed at you Pete. Just seemed like a pretty basic thing, if he wants to cut a hole for a speaker do it it's his boat, who cares.. The factory does it all the time. I don't understand the reasoning behind "You can't put it back", or I wouldn't be cutting there. He's gonna fill the hole with a speaker and cover it with a coaming pad, will look nice, no big deal.

I know it will work but my big question which I dont think will have a problem is integrity. I dont want speakers sticking out and I will cover the holes anyway and I know it will look nice cause I am picky like that. I dont envision myself owning this or any other toy boat and not have some tunes in it. So as long as I wont hurt it structurally, I will be cutting them this weekend :)
85 2001 351 240hp FS
93 sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2007 at 9:20pm
TRDon,

IF it was my boat I wouldn't hesitate to do it. The factory cuts speaker holes and a hole for the throttle. Not a big deal even with th ebottom cut out as Trbenj's photo above shows. USe a spiral cutter so you get a nice clean edge with no chipping of the gel. Really doesn't matter since you're covering it up anyway. Cut the hole with no square corners (All radiused) so there is no stress point for the fiberglass to crack from although I don't think it would anyway but better safe than sorry.

TRDon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2007 at 3:43am
Awesome, exactly what I was looking for. I was planing on reverse cutting through the gel with a 3.5 inch holesaw and taking it out that way then filing it the rest of the way round on the edges :)

I just spent 5 hours using heavy rubbing compound on my hevily chalked and discolored hull and I am spent. Tomorrow I get to go through it again with a lighter compound , the a couple coats of polish then a UV wax. Probably get to the speakers tomorrow too if I am up for it. It is looking really good now though, it was a pretty dramatic difference. I cant wait til its done though.
85 2001 351 240hp FS
93 sport
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2007 at 6:40am
I cut some holes with a hole saw drill bit. Works great.Go here to see the pics.      hole saw pics
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic