NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer Repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Pgaski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stringer Repair
    Posted: October-12-2007 at 7:52pm
I just discovered a section of my stringer is rotted. I remember someone talking about being able to cut the top of the stringer cap off and filling the void with some type of epoxy.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 8:12pm
I have used an epoxy for firming up a soft floor. It's called Git Rot, and works pretty well. You drill holes and squirt it in. It gets solid. It's a temporary fix, although I've been nursing this floor for over 10 years. I'll have to pay the piper sooner or later, as the rotted section is much larger now, than when I started using the Git Rot.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 8:56pm
Pg, Riley is absolutely correct that it is a temporary fix at best. The wood next to the git rot epoxy will rot faster. It is a cancer that must be completely cut out sooner or later. The biggest danger in doing it later is rotted stringers can cause engine / shaft misalignment which in turn can cause big time transmission problems. What is the boat, where is the rot and how much of the stringer is gone?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Pgaski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 9:04pm
1992 Ski, I have rot under the left front engine mounting bolt. Its the lag bolt that goes through the top of the stringer holding the engine craddle to the stringer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 9:24pm
Pgaski, I would suspect that there are other spots that are rotten. I'll see if I can find a link to another thread by using the search. There is lots on the subject. You are going to have to do some exploring!! Wet foam under the floor goes along with stringer rot. Under the engine mount is not a good place.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 9:36pm
Here's one!

checking for stringer rot

Read this thread. It's pretty good at explaining how to check for rot.

The thread you read about cutting the top of the fiberglass cap of the stringer off and then pouring in a epoxy mix was maybe a year back. I haven't heard anything back about it but my gut feeling is no. It sounds too much like a quick and dirty repair to me. It certainly hasn't proven itself yet ether. I do remember it was expensive and it was heavy too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Pgaski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 10:33pm
Thanks for all the info. I've owned this boat for 13years and we have had great fun. With 5 kids it is a little tight but I need to make it last just a couple of more years. So it sounds like I'll be putting in new stingers this winter. After I pull the engine and cut the floor out I'll post some picks.
Pgaski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 11:49pm
Pete, Went down stairs and cut the floor open just above the stringer and pulled some bolts out on the passenger side and found the top one inch of the stringer rotted from 3" forward of the engine bay to just past the middle of the engine mounting bracket.

Paul

PS Everything else is solid.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 11:54pm
If that truly is the case, you should be able to patch a piece into the stringer. Not the best way to repair, but would be the quickest and the easiest. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2007 at 10:03am
Hopefully that is the only bad spot and then I would go with trying a patch. I do feel that you should check more of the stringers especially lower where it meets the hull. See if you can probe the foam for water too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Pgaski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2007 at 4:15pm
I did that last night. Need new stringers. Already cut the floor out and I'm getting ready to Pull the motor. After I'm finished with the stringers I want to roll the boat over and do the bottom. Do you have any experience with rolling the hull over?

Paul
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2007 at 4:55pm
There are two methods I've used. When I had access to a bridge crane and hoists it was easy to roll over in some long nylon straps. The other is about 6 friends give or take 1 or 2 depending on how big they are and a case of beer give or take 1 or 2 depending on their drinking habits!! Get some old rubber tires to set one side on and then roll it over. Once over, you can set it down on some padded 4x4's on top of the trailer bunks. Then you can move it if required.

Are you planning on re gelling the bottom?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Pgaski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pgaski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2007 at 7:59pm
Yes, Regel the bottom and then flip it back over and regel the top. New carpet and interior also.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic