NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wht do you use for oil (carb GT40)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRDon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wht do you use for oil (carb GT40)
    Posted: October-21-2007 at 2:02pm
I guess I am specifically looking for my boat whick is a 93 gt40 carb setup. I know it says on the cover but I dont think a 30 is good all around for startup and the lower RPMs I constantly run. I used to run a 10-30 in my 85 so i am wondering what other people run in their boats with a sinilar motor :)
85 2001 351 240hp FS
93 sport
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2007 at 2:13pm
This post has probably more info than you want to know on the subject of oil in our engines. Happy reading.

OIL

Hope that helps.

Joe
TRDon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2007 at 4:13pm
I just read that whole thing and found myself more confused than ever all I got out of it is that I want zinc and off road oil
85 2001 351 240hp FS
93 sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2007 at 2:43am
Years ago engine manufactures recommended straight weight oil because multi weights would break down when stressed,leaving you with 10w when you used to have 10w40.Thats all changed now and I have decided to use Vavoline 10w30 racing oil in my 68 302.Do you have a PCM? What do they recommend?I have a PCM manual from the late 80's,they were recommending straight weights back then.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 3:21pm
You can run what ever oil you want as long as you add some STP oil treatment. It has the ZDDP (Zinc) that we want to have for better lubrication.

Brad
2001 SAN
"Python Powered"
TRDon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 7:21pm
Gary, I believe it was asking for a 40W but that seemed to be too thick for startup to me. I asked my local dealer and he said a 15-40 is a decent oil to use year round. I dont know hoe much truth there is to that though :shrug:
85 2001 351 240hp FS
93 sport
TRDon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2007 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by joed joed wrote:

This post has probably more info than you want to know on the subject of oil in our engines. Happy reading.

OIL

Hope that helps.

Joe

in light of this post, I did a decent amount of research and I will see what ends up being the best for the boat. I dont want excessive oil pressure so i will see what I get out of what I bought now. I was told by the local dealer (son watersports) to use a 15-40 oil. I also asked about the ZDDP and zinc for it and he didnt know what to tell me excpet to research it and see what I can find. I went one better and tried to find one with the ZDDP in it or use a good base and use the STP oil additive(with ZDDP in it) I found that There is a castrol product in a 1 gal jug that is called "Castrol Tection Extra" that is a 15-40 weight oil that in the ingrediants says that it contains the ZDDP in the oil which was a change from what I found with the Shell Rotella T or other heavy duty oils for deisels (at auto zone mind you) They did have the Valvoline VR1 raging oil with the ZDDP in it but only had it in a 50, 60 and a 20-50 which I will try a 15-40 first to see how my oil pressure reacts to it (I dont know what is in there now from the previous owner) This castrol that I found was about $11 for the gallon.

I figure this is a start to see how oil pressure reacts because you only really need 10-12 PSI of oil pressure for every 1000 rpm on a 351W motor for adequate lubrication.

So anyone looking for an oil you dont need to use a $3 additive to, castrol tection extra is what you are looking for    I hope this helps out some people who were looking for the same thing as me with the non roller cam prediciment.
85 2001 351 240hp FS
93 sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by TRDon TRDon wrote:

So anyone looking for an oil you dont need to use a $3 additive to, castrol tection extra is what you are looking for    I hope this helps out some people who were looking for the same thing as me with the non roller cam prediciment.

TRDon, not sure if you read that entire thread, but I found that the 20w50 VR-1 didnt make any difference in oil pressure compared to the previous 15w40 Shell Rotella-T. Valvoline does make the VR-1 in 10w30, though my local parts store didnt stock any either. I may mix the the weights next time to see what happens. I use Castrol GTX in my truck, so I would bet the Tection is a good oil as well.
TRDon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 8:32pm
Like I said, I dont know what is in there now, and I am not to excited about running a high pressure, so I decided I would try a lower number to see how it works out vs whatever might be in there. If I am ok with pressure, I will leave it, if not, I may try the additive in a 10w40.

What pressure cold/hot/idle/running do you see , Tim
85 2001 351 240hp FS
93 sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 11:37am
Originally posted by TRDon TRDon wrote:

What pressure cold/hot/idle/running do you see , Tim

I believe I get 40-50psi at idle (cold or hot) and 60-70psi at speed.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 2:11am
I have been using straight 40wt. This seems heavy to me, especially when it's still cool outside. but I have been told that these engines require a "straight weight" and 40wt. is recommended. now I'm reconsidering. I'm considering using a 15W-40 heavy duty racing or off road oil.

I was even considering ordering one of these Oil Analysis Reports from Blackstone Laboratories

Found this while researching oil for my new truck:
Bobistheoilguy.com

The guys on the BITOG forum really take their lubrication seriously. Maybe even a little too seriously.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 10:44am
Randy, Ive been quoted PCM's recommendation on the straight weight oils as well. Ive also read enough on newer oils to ignore that recommendation, as I think the multi-weights offer better protection at start up. Ive run both 15w40 and 20w50. Just make sure whatever you use has the zinc (ZDDP) additives. Im going to continue running the VR-1.

BITOG is a great source of oil and filter info- I generally check in there whenever I have an oil related question. Youre right- some of those guys are waaay into oil.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 11:39am
Zinc is good for prostate health. I highly recommend it. The results of zinc will surprise you. I did not know you could get it in motor oil too. I'll check it out.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 10:24pm
Now thats the kind of J_I_H post we've been missing here.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 8:31pm
My PCM Manual (89) says 10W30 is good up to 90 deg. Also says that Zinc additive is only needed for 460s & 454s. So is the Rotella 40W40 needed only in these big blocks & GT40?

We don't do WOT much & it rarely gets over 90F here in corn country.

I just put in Ford certified 10W30 into my 351W & wonder it I treated her right.

Chris
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 10:43am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

My PCM Manual (89) says 10W30 is good up to 90 deg. Also says that Zinc additive is only needed for 460s & 454s. So is the Rotella 40W40 needed only in these big blocks & GT40?

That PCM Manual was written 10 years before the API standards all but eliminated the zinc additives previously found in most oils. I have no idea if the oil you used has the additives needed, but its worth investigating. 10w30 is probably fine, though I prefer the heavier 15w40 or 20w50, even here in the northeast.

Not sure why the manual would say that the additives are necessary for the big blocks, but not the 351w, as they were all flat tappet motors at that point. The GT40 is just a basic 351w block with GT40 heads and MPEFI, by the way.
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 12:58pm
I have read most threads related to oil. I thought the consensus was that either Rottella 40W40 or Valvoline Racing 20W50 is fine. Did I got that right? I think I would go with the Valvoline but I noticed that they have a regular and VR1. I think the VR1 is synthetic. IMO it may not be worth the extra money for the amount of use I will give the boat compared to a car. I do know synthetic are better for cold start protection, I use them on all my cars. What you guys think? Is it worth the money?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

I have read most threads related to oil. I thought the consensus was that either Rottella 40W40 or Valvoline Racing 20W50 is fine. Did I got that right?

You got that part right, but the VR1 I use is not synthetic. I believe there are some synthetics that still have the zinc in them (some of the heavier weight Mobil1's, etc). Whether its worth the expense to switch over is up to you- I'm sticking with high quality conventional.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 1:47pm
Ahhh!! You are right. The VR1 is not synthetic. It seems that it has better zinc and protection. I guess that would be my choice. Thanks for correcting me.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 1:50pm
Anthony, I am a Rotella guy, running the 40T in my stroker, but oils are like tubes and ski's .... Different strokes for different folks.

Side note Anthony, your E-Mail came back to me as undeliverable,If you want a redneck point of veiw give me a call.........
     1-318-386-2825   Billy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 1:58pm
Doc,
    I do appreciate that you are offering your help and will take that offer to be able to talk to you. I need to compose a list of question I have in mind for you. You are quite a legend on this website among others. I received the mail and I don't know why you got that e-mail back. I will check it again. My e-mail is alizardi@mail.smu.edu . I use my school e-mail because I can access it from work and home. More convinient.
Thanks, Anthony
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 8:12pm
Thanks for all the info. Come May, my beater car will get the 10W30 & SN will get the good stuff.

Chris
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 10:52pm
Guys: 6 boats...regular oil changes (only thing I know how to do)...used in Ohio, Tennessee and Florida...Valvoline 20W50...how many hours do I have on all my boats...no way to even guess but I ain't never had a failure (knock on wood)...change it every 50 hours and hopefully you'll be good to go.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 10:58pm
JBEAR< the motors are the same , the oils and their additives have. Keep up with the game or suffer the engine related failures.........
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2007 at 10:09am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

JBEAR< the motors are the same , the oils and their additives have changed. Keep up with the game or suffer the engine related failures.........

Fixed it for you, Doc. Valvoline is good oil, JBear- but according to their tech that I spoke to, the only oil that they sell now that contains the zinc that us Ford guys need is the Valvoline Racing. VR1 is the cheapest of the bunch, and still has the detergents that allow for normal oil change intervals.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2007 at 11:58pm
Tim; Thanks for the fix...quess I will be switching to the racing Valvoline. I don't want no stinkin' engine trouble.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic