NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

81 Barefoot stem to stern

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 81 Barefoot stem to stern
    Posted: October-28-2007 at 9:46pm
I thought I would start another post on the 81 BFN restoration. The difference in this boat and the 81 Ski Nautique is that the gel coat and graphics are okay on the BFN. So, I am only going to replace the stringers, deck and power plant. I will also do cables, wiring harness and what ever else is required. I cut the top off of Pandora's box today and found what I expected, except the fir strips on the port side of the deck were not rotten. This boat was exposed to salt and as a result the hardware for the lifting rings are toast and I have yet to get the pylon to lift off it's mount. Have I ever mentioned I hate the smell of ground fiberglass.
bj
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 9:50pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 9:50pm
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 9:51pm
hasbeenskier
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 11:17pm
BJ,

Keep all those gory pictures coming. It will help us all. BTW, I can't smell any of that fiberglass here in KC.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 12:52pm
Recalling from the eric doing 87 BFNowner's boat, it seems as though the main stringers are "stepped" or are there 2 main stringers side by side?

Are you leaving the cover snaps on the boat? I hate snaps, funny you find them on a lot of tubing boats...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I hate snaps, funny you find them on a lot of tubing boats...

It must be something in the water they drink!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 9:23pm
Hollywood,
I am not sure what you mean when you say "stepped" but there are only two main stringers, the engine rests on them,(port and starboard). I will fabricate an aluminum cradle for the engine that was not there originally. I have not made any decision with regard to the snaps. I do not like them either. It would not be so bad if the snap line was at least straight. I am not to excited about repairing all the holes either.
hasbeenskier
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 10:58pm
Pete would this type of improvement be acceptable even though it is not original?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 10:44am
Originally posted by hasbeenskier hasbeenskier wrote:

Hollywood,
I am not sure what you mean when you say "stepped" but there are only two main stringers, the engine rests on them,(port and starboard).

Ive noticed the same thing. Between the motor and stern, the main stringers are not as tall as the floor. Kind of looks like theyre double wide, too. Looks different than the Ski Nautique- not sure if its because of the hull difference or the big block motor.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 10:45am
HW, it has 1 main stringer and filled with heavy structural foam to get the width over to the plywood, then glassed over, they had the extra width to accomadate for the big bad chevy power, Im having flashbacks.
Hasbeen, start digging and you should only see one stringer, i dont know how to bring up the pictures but i believe they are under "foam removal"
"the things you own will start to own you"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 10:55am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2007 at 12:02pm
Hollywood, your red pointer is a single main stringer with a channel next to it for foam, this is where the extra width comes for the BBC, they use plywood for the uprights, if you find the foam removal topic you will see more clear, next to the ply they use the firring strips and foam, nothing realy structural except for some plwood stringers to support the floor
MarineSRT8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 12:21am
looks like another year or so devoted to this one bj. After seeing yours Im sure she'll be a show stopper!!!
"Some people go an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem"

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 1:47am
Gotta agree with the Marine. Think I'll have plenty of time to get over there and see this one in person.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2007 at 6:40pm
Eric all the pics are gone from foam removal thread. Did you delete them off your computer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2007 at 9:26am
I didnt delete??? i'll look and see if i have any of them
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic