NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dash Wiring

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dash Wiring
    Posted: November-01-2007 at 11:56pm
Well, I pulled the dash panel out of the '68 to replace the corroded wiring and I have found that the incoming 12 volt wire connects to one side of the amp gauge and all of the other wiring with one exception (the wire to the bow and stern light) connects to the other terminal on the amp gauge. It makes sense that all of the current must pass through the amp gauge before it is sent to all of the devices on the boat but why is the light wiring connected directly to the incoming 12 volts and not on the "downstream" side of the ammeter? Is there an obscure reason I need to know before I consider it a mistake and move the light wire to the "downstream" side of the ammeter. The way it is connected now, when the lights are turned "ON" the amp draw of the lights will not be indicated on the ammeter. I wondered why, when I turn on the lights, I never saw a bounce in the ammeter. Now I know. Thoughts? Anyone?

By-the-way, there are a whole lot of wires crammed onto the "downstream" amp gauge terminal. It kind of looks like a dead spider. Anyone have a solution for dealing with a lot of ring tongue terminals crammed onto a single terminal stud?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2007 at 12:45am
JIH, yes it is a BUSS BAR,or a brass strip with a main feed at one end and several terminal screws for the feeds to branch off of. Pete will chine in and give the "proper name"............
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2007 at 6:59am
Jim, It sounds like someone has been into the wiring! All the loads should be on the downstream side of the amp meter so you get a true reading. I think the gauge manufacturers made the terminal studs real long so the boat builders could put 20 ring Sta-cons on one spot!!!

Doc, "buss bar" isn't bad. Some may call it a barrier terminal strip too. You can pick up some nice ones at Radio Shack along with the jumpers to connect all or some of the individual terminals together. Don't worry about the volt rating as anything above 12 is good. The amp rating is the key. 20 or 30 will do it because you really won't have any large loads going through it. My 64 Dunphy actually has a "buss bar" copper strip screwed to the back of the wood dash panel!!
You haven't been on a lot lately! Have you and the dogs been chasing Tweety through the woods?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2007 at 10:29am
Pete, we are getting finished with the honey and prepping the bees for winter.There is a lot of clean up ,supers, frames, extracters and all the boring tasks that go with beekeeping.
I built Karen a solar oven to melt and clean her beeswax, and she will be pouring candles for Christmas gifts.
I have been watching , just no need to comment or share.Glad to be missed tho........
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2007 at 11:41am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

I have been watching , just no need to comment or share.

So, basically, youve been minding your own beeswax?

Sorry, I couldnt help it.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2007 at 12:32pm
Tim, it still belongs to the bees,we harvested about 21 gallons of honey and 10 pounds of wax. Lots of Santa to give away.
And I only have three hives , will be adding one more.And Karen asked "Do You Really Need Another Hobby" the answer ........YES
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2007 at 1:02pm
Bee doctor? we could refer to him as aunt Bee
"the things you own will start to own you"
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2007 at 11:02am
Excellent posts even if it is a hijack. Thanks for the confirmation of the mistaken wiring 8122pbrainard.

Bees? Honey? Candles for Christmas? Respect for boat dr just jumped through the ceiling. From now on it's Sir Boat Dr to me.

You can't talk about homemade candles without making them available. Where's the online store? I want 3 or 5.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2007 at 12:05pm
Jim, Give me a call , all I have is your work # mine is 1-318-386-2825     
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic