NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

heat question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: heat question
    Posted: November-12-2007 at 3:55pm
On my 2000 Air with the heater turned on it blows mildly warm air, not even close to hot. Plus it does not seem to have much flow. I previously had a 01 sport with heat to compare it to. The Air is nothing close to that. So does anyone have any imput on this? Als another side note I noticed the other day when I turned the heat on it steam came out of the vent for just a second? I am assuming maybe a small leak in the heater core but hoping not. But a leak still would not explain the lack of heat or the poor volume of air flow. Yes the heater is set on high when I get the poor air flow. There is no sign of water pooling any where or steam anywhere else. I believe the heat was factory not an after market install. The shower gets hot, but I wouldn't say it's burning hot. Any idea where the best place to get the hot water from for the shower and heat to make it hot.

Sorry about the long post just wanted to provide as much info as possible.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 6:21pm
When are you getting mediocre heat? At idle?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 6:35pm
All the time, the temp gauage reads 160. WOT, half throttle, and idle. Does not change stays constant. Is there a possibility that the blower motor is going or has gone bad?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 11:49pm
Well first off I'm pretty sure PCM recommends a 160 t-stat for boats with a heater, so the engine runs closer to 180 and you get nice hot air.

But if you believe your core is clogged, take the lines off the heater core, and put on some of your own sections of clear vinyl. I would use 3-4'. Blow out all the water in there from the outlet side. You may notice some sediment and crap coming out the other end. Get it all out. Fill with CLR, blow from inlet, fill with CLR, blow from outlet. This is how I flushed the heater core in my Fleetwood, it was blowing midly warm air then would actually turn cold. The water trapped in the core would only warm up by the water being pushed against it.

If you are getting constant, luke warm air them maybe you have a fan issue but that should be easy to tell how much air is coming out, irregardless of the temperature.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 12:13am
I will give that a try. Plus I will pull the motor out and see if it is functioning properly.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Well first off I'm pretty sure PCM recommends a 160 t-stat for boats with a heater, so the engine runs closer to 180 and you get nice hot air.

Whether a heater is installed or not doesnt affect which thermostat you use. I believe that the EFI motors run the hotter 160 'stats, so its just coincidental that the newer boats also have heaters. When I test drove my '90 in Nov '05, the engine could barely stay at temp with the cold water, but the heater was pushing some serious hot air (all with a 143 'stat). The Y fitting from SkiDIM is a huge help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 6:21pm
Well I will be checking the plumbing routes this week end, and I will drain the system and check for cloggs. Plus I will check the motor out. I didn't have any problems with the heat on my 01 so messing with the heater in a boat is new to me. But I assumme that it is not any harder then the heat in a car.

TRBenj which y pipe were you talking about and where did you connect it at?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

TRBenj which y pipe were you talking about and where did you connect it at?

The one from SkiDIM.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic