NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Wheel

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Wheel
    Posted: November-23-2007 at 5:41pm
Im looking for a steering wheel for my 66 cuda. I think it was used on quite a few different years. This is what it looks like...

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 8:06pm
Steve, I know they were used at least 1966-70, and on other makes as well. Some of the other sites for other brands may be of help. I bet Pete B. knows the sites you ought to check.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 10:43pm
Bruce,
A lot of the steering wheels used in boats came from automotive applications. This style steering wheel was originally used in 1950s Mercury Turnpike Cruisers. You have to wonder why/how they would come up using that wheel in the mid 60s? It does look great on the boats tho!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 10:54pm
Our '67 Barracuda had one and I loved it. My Mustang has a Merc wheel, but it's smaller and not as nice. It must have been for a Commet.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 10:57pm
Bruce, Thanks for the vote of confidence in feeling that I could help Steve. Actually he is a step ahead of me and has already determined what automotive wheel it is.
The use of wheels, columns and gear boxes goes back to using surplus WW I truck and auto parts. It was cheap and available. A piece of galvanized pipe between the steering box arm and the rudder arm was all that was needed.

Steve, who's wheel is in the picture you posted?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2007 at 2:34am
Pete,
Thats a picture I happened across on the internet while surfing a few weeks ago.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2007 at 8:42pm
Pete, I thought your friends Century had that wheel. Maybe the Century web site would be a place to look?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 11:49am
Steve, Bruce may have a good idea but Dave may have already suggested it to you. Century may have used the same wheel so you should try A&A marine.

A&A

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 12:07pm
Great web site, Pete. I like their flooring.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic