Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

shaft and strut questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Datim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Datim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shaft and strut questions
    Posted: December-03-2007 at 3:36pm
I was out on the lake the other day (I'm spending the winter down in Mexico) and I hit a fishing trap that was built with rebar. I was only going about 10mph and stopped immediately after having hit it and was able to get towed into shore.

Once I got home I cut away the rebar. a 18" section was completely wrapped around the prop and shaft. The only damage that I could see was a small fingernail sized nick in the prop and no other visible damage to the boat or the shaft, etc. That was a great relief.

However, when I was checking things out I noticed that there is a little side to side play in the shaft at the strut. You have to wiggle it with a moderate amount of force to get the play, but it's there none-the-less.

My question is, is this normal or should there not be any amount of play at all? If there is play, what do I need to do?

Also, could my shaft have possibly gotten bent after having hit something like that? how can I check to see if my shaft is straight?

Oh, I forgot to say: I have a 1983 SN2001. I bought it about 6 months ago for cheap, but it's needed a fair bit of work. Mostly small things, but not much is new on it.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 4:14pm
There should be no play. If the strut itself is moving at all you need to remove and rebed. If its the strut staying still and the shaft moving then you need new strut bearings. Its a wear item probably nothing to do with your rebar hit.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 5:01pm
It's been my experience that inboard drive components don't react very well to sudden changes in direction. I hope Joe's post is all the help you need, but I would investigate further. I recently had a prop with a slightly bent blade that could only be seen on the workbench....at least by me. The strut and shaft may also be slightly out.

There are several posts here on prop/shaft damage and on alignment. There's a couple of ways to check things, but I'm not really the guy to describe it. This is a long thread but super good info within!
Eric's alignment thread
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Datim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Datim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 5:20pm
Thanks for the help so far. The play in the prop strut is the shaft itself moving, the strut itself is solid and doesn't move. So it looks like I'm going to have to get new strut bearings.

Thanks for the link to that thread. I had looked around, but for some reason didn't see that one.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Its a wear item probably nothing to do with your rebar hit.

As noted, this wouldn't be from an impact. The thread I mentioned has some info in it on a possibly bent shaft. I think I've also read that bent shafts/props can be hard on the tranny.
Try sighting down the keel...is everything that's supposed to be straight down still that way? Is the end of the prop shaft on one side of the rudder of the other? If you can turn the prop by hand, does the shaft end maintain center? This is not the preferred way to check, but it might help you notice something.
1988 BFN-sold

Datim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Datim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 6:12pm
Everything looks straight and in line by eyesight, but I'll do a more thorough check just to be sure.

BTW, if there is play in the prop strut, would that cause vibration at all?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Datim Datim wrote:

BTW, if there is play in the prop strut, would that cause vibration at all?

Yes, it will as Joe said. Did it have the same vibration before the rebar? Has it gotten worse? Some vibration should be expected if your cutlass bearing is worn, but if it's gotten worse you probably have something bent. Some here say that if you hit something harder than a dead fish, you'll surely have bent something.
1988 BFN-sold

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 7:03pm
Not always is something bent after hitting something, but the alignment has changed. The alignment needs to be checked at the coupling with feeler gauges as shown in Eric's thread. Some bends can be seen with they naked eye if they are bad enough, others will only be seen by measuring.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 7:34pm
Datim, A bent shaft forward of the cutlass can be checked at the coupling halves and is explained in Eric's alignment thread. If it is bent aft of the cutlass around the prop taper, then a dial indicator clamped to the strut while the shaft is rotated will tell. The dial indicator can be used forward as well. If you could borrow one, I would use it. The only other way is to remove the shaft from the boat and put it between V blocks. I wouldn't trust the naked eye. You do not want to end up with trans problems.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 8:47pm
Or this?

Don't worry, this is a extreme case of someone who didn't know what he was doing!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 8:51pm
Pete its not nice to talk about reid like that during the holiday season.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Datim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Datim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 9:07pm
Thanks a lot for the info, it's very helpful. I did take the boat out yesterday for a short trip and everything seemed normal. I only use it at wakeboarding speeds (under 22mph) and at those speeds I didn't really notice any vibration or anything different. However, when bringing the boat back in I took it up to between 25 to 30 mph and there was noticeable vibration. I could feel it in the throttle. I can't recall if it made that vibration before as I don't ever remember taking it over 25mph. I'm assuming that the vibration at higher speeds is probably due to the strut bearing needing to be replaced, though now that I've got all this info, I'm going to check the alignment and the shaft to make sure that is all in order. I certainly don't want to mess up the transmission.

How can I tell whether my prop needs to be repaired? From looking at it it looks like it only has one little nick in it and nothing else. Is it most likely that I'd need to get it rebuilt? If I don't am I risking harm to my boat or is it just a matter of losing some performance?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 10:05pm

Joe, That's Reids boat????

Datim, Just like the shaft, it is really hard to tell by eye if the prop is bad. If you have the time, sending it to a prop shop may not be a bad idea.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Joe, That's Reids boat????

Yup. From this thread. You cant even remember where youre stealing your pictures from Pete?

Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Well, before MaddMarxx beats me to it, heres an update on the 390's maiden voyage just yesterday AM while he was here. Ran just fine, put a few hours on her and then late in day when all the crazies finally started going home, Mark, Marshall Morgan and I piled in for one last run on some hopefully calmer water. Cruised around a bit then headed back in and when within a couple hundred yards of the dock I decided to let her have it one time. The rpm's climbed quick and maybe a little higher than anticipated and right about the time I was about to let off there was loud bang, followed by a backfire, and I was off the gas immediately. Well, she idled down nicely as ever, and as we all looked at each other in complete shock I slipped the shifter back into forward and NOTHING. Opened the engine box and the shaft was spinning but we're not moving. So we yelled to Blondiegurl on the dock and she jumped on the wave runner and we towed her to the dock and pulled her out on the spot. The prop and the last 3" of shaft were GONE. We were in 20-40' of water and don't think we hit anything, and you could see where the prop hit the rudder but not the bottom of the hull. Prior to the rebuild and even yesterday, there seemed to be a bit of unique vibration and mechanical noise at higher rpm, but not having a good case history with the boat in terms of running time, I wasn't sure. While the 13x14 OJ prop looked great it may have had balance issues, or the shaft just fatigued from the torque (?) I don't know. I do know I needed a new higher pitch prop anyway, so it's only a temperary set back.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2007 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Yup. From this thread. You cant even remember where youre stealing your pictures from Pete?

Tim, I remember the thread very well. That's how I knew where to steal the picture!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 10:33am
A last ditch effort if no tools are available (such as indicators) would be to c-clamp a screwdriver tip near the possible bend, you can pick up a bent shaft this way with the eye, if set up right you could even use feeler blades to measure it even though there is no need to measure the bend, because its bent anyways, put the tip of the scredrver as close as you can to the shaft and clamp it if there is even a slight bend you will see it with this method. edit...make sure you turn the shaft
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 11:54am
Just in case anyone hasn't seen or used a dial indicator, here's a picture. The contact point is placed on whatever you want to measure. As the surface moves this point up or down (as in the case of a bent shaft) the dial indicates the movement. Typically in .001" increments

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Datim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Datim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2007 at 4:20pm
Thanks everyone for the helpful information. I'll be checking everything out this weekend and will report back. Hopefully all I'll need to do is replace the strut bearings and send the prop to get checked out. I really appreciate all the good info.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic