NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What happened to Dexron III ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What happened to Dexron III ?
    Posted: December-29-2007 at 1:41am
Well, for you folks that have been following my saga, the '68 is back in the water. It ran crappy so - back out of the water and I discovered the distributor weights were rusted up and frozen solid. Fixed that and back in the water - it runs great. Better than ever. The trans has been rebuilt and does not leak a drop. After running a while, I checked the tranny fluid and found it was low as I suspected it would be (after pumping the fluid into the cooler following the rebuild). I ran to the auto parts store to pick up a can of Dexron III and guess what? It's no more. So, what mixes with Dexron III? Anyone?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2007 at 3:09am
Hey Jim....all I know is what mixes with Beam...but I am always glad to see ya on here. Miss your type of humor.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2007 at 12:10pm
Dexron Mercon,
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2007 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Dexron Mercon,

Per Eric's recommendation, I run conventional (not Max Life) Valvoline Dexron-Mercon in my tranny.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2007 at 3:03pm
Just to confirm: I can add Dexron Mercon (DM) to my trans with Dexron III already in it? (Research on the web gives conflicting answers.)
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2007 at 12:41am
Jim
Dexron Mercron 4 and 5 are compatiable with three. But they do not go the other way you can not put 3 in something that takes 4 or 5.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2007 at 3:25pm
Thanks 87, but can they be mixed together in the same trans or must I drain my trans of Dexron 3 before I add Dexron 4,5, or 6?
advsouthwind View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advsouthwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2007 at 3:50pm
Jim,
Dex 5 and 6 are synthetic blends of transmission fluid that GM has introduced, where dex 3 and dex/mercon are base tranny fluids. Mercon is what ford chose to use while dextron is what gm and chrysler used untill chrysler chose the 7176 type then upgraded to synthetic. You can add synthetic to base stock oils but you are just wasting your money unless you do a drain and refill. You can buy dex/merc tranny fluid anywhere automotive oils are available and if you want a little more protection use a additive like lubegard red bottle to help with foaming.acid build up and high temperature protection. as well as clutch material and seal lubrication. Transmission fluid in it basic state (dextron/mercon) is a highly refined oil with additives in it. Happy boating.
gave up sea ray life for a 77 southwind 20 project just livin the dream
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic