NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Re-painting the 1981 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 6:32pm
and it's our fault that you believe just because it's regestered this way that's what year it actually is please, Sorry about ya.

Just because the BMV was given wrong info years ago still will never make that boat a '81 SKI Nautique, Hell I'll have to take a look at the tail movement's HIN and see if it's actuall a '81 like the graphics, and hull appear to be f**k I might have cut up an aniversery edition or an '80 instead of a '81 damn it I knew I should have looked at the title closer.

So the lession you've hopefully learned today is what it is regestered as doesn't mean sh*t. And more importantly don't try and tells us it this way or that way or lie to us. When WE ALL READY KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IT IS FROM A PICTURE. WE KNOW THESE BOAT's INSIDE AND OUT end of story.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 6:33pm
Scott, dont take the comments personally. Many here have received a good tongue lashing from '79 (myself included), so just consider it a right of passage. Stick around.

Judging by your tower speaker project, youve got some skills- I saw it on PN and am glad you decided to share it here. You should post up more pics of your cupholder/gauge pod as well.
tiqueman97 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 6:34pm
79nautique, settle yourself. I know that they release cars, trucks, boats motorcycles as 07s in 06. But arent they usually registered as an 07, even when built in 06? im not arguing one bit that the boat I had wasnt a series 2001 model AND Im not arguing the fact that it was built in 81 82 or 63.. and I dont care. All I was trying to say was that it was perhaps a slip up somewhere and registered by the state of FL as an 81. Why is that so hard for you to deal with? NO, IM NOT SAYING IT IS THE SAME HULL AS THE PRE 2001 HULL!!!!!!! I was simply trying to say that the year of the boat according to FL is an 81.. HOWEVER it is a series 2001, which was year 82. Sorry I argued the point of the year registration rather than the model/year that began it. My fault. Sorry and Wont happen again.

And PS, get your facts straight as to who your talking to before you start ripping on someone. We all know what ASSUMING is... accept its the U part you should be worried about.. not me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 6:40pm
TRBenj, thanks for the comments. Too bad we all cant be as cool as some others huh. All I was trying to do was help someone out on an opinion and an experience of how I fixed up my MODEL 82 2001 SERIES THAT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE AN 81.. Oh well.... whatever... I guess some people.. can just never say "hmm interesting but you know its a 2001 model." And Id say yup and move on. But no matter what IM wrong and your right, arent you 79nautique?

bk-broiler. Sorry this nonsense took over your post. Good luck with it and post some pics on another site where you will be sure to get nothing but compliments....Planet something rather....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 6:45pm
at times people applier different tatics(sp) to get information out of people with actually asking a direct question. And you where being pretty strong saying it's regestered this way so it must be, wrong when it comes to boats, trailers older motorcycles, water toys about the only thing consistant are cars as the VIN system as been in place for years 30-40 yrs before they ever required it on boats. Ever heard of a builders title?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by tiqueman97 tiqueman97 wrote:

TRBenj, thanks for the comments. Too bad we all cant be as cool as some others huh. All I was trying to do was help someone out on an opinion and an experience of how I fixed up my MODEL 82 2001 SERIES THAT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE AN 81.. Oh well.... whatever... I guess some people.. can just never say "hmm interesting but you know its a 2001 model." And Id say yup and move on. But no matter what IM wrong and your right, arent you 79nautique?

bk-broiler. Sorry this nonsense took over your post. Good luck with it and post some pics on another site where you will be sure to get nothing but compliments....Planet something rather....

guess you didn't know HW who called you out on the 81 to start with spend tons of time on PN as well as many others here, we just don't care so much for all the crying about stereo's and how to do basic wiring tasks or the many trival topics they discuss over there oh and there's another major diference we actually get together and meet one another face to face. Oh and check out the Sept page in the PN calender that's SKI LIME and my boat at Green lake WI. Sorry I didn't see your boat in the calender but not everyone makes the cut so that's ok.
JPirotte View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPirotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 6:53pm
Well thanks for that guys ( I think) I just got back from a guy at a car place saying he can use car paint? Would you have to regel coat over the paint? What about when the gas spills out of the stern, wouldn't it eat up the paint? it sure did on the graphics I had put on. Damn that is an embarrasing mistake. I am a freakin idiot but I am willing to pay the piper to fix the issue. Thoughts?

Is there a measurment for the size of the strip and the lettering? seems like it will be hard to have the true strip dimensions seeing that it fades up the bow.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 6:58pm
well if you actually have a '81 then Allen has the files and I believe they are posted in the reference section too, but you can use those to create the stencil to mask off and repaint. Your best bet is to use that stencil or create your own then sand off the old graphics and wet sand the complete boat to make the gel-kot shine again then mask and paint the graphics, using auto paint is fine just use the right primers so the paint will stick to the gel-kote. Gas won't hurt the paint. maybe allen and Mark or some of the others can chime in on what brands they actually used or their projects.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiqueman97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 7:28pm
79nautique, you should change you name to something that reflects "oh god and ruler, best of the best, everyone else sucks, but me and my nautique, I am the only thing that matters, because my boat made a mag and the other million boats out there didnt" I mean c'mon.. 79nautique doesnt cut it for yo man.. you are better than that!!!! Have some pride.

And I dont give a rats a$$ who posts what. If someone took the time to build something on thier own and wants to post it, let them be. Dont whine cause you may not have the talent to do so. This is a correct craft forum, and if someone wants to show that they made, did, or fixed anything at all on their boat, then by gosh, thats what these forums are about. Not everyone is on here to hang out with you and your "calender boat" woohoo for you. Did you build it, gel it, do the upholstery, mount the windshield... mybe not you, maybe Mark? or someone else... lets praise them for having THIER boat in a calender... not you because you forked out the cash to get it... anyone can do that, Mr. 79nautique.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by JPirotte JPirotte wrote:

Would you have to regel coat over the paint?

No the paint goes on top of the gel.

Wow, first post in a week and look what I started. Glad tiqueman can atleast recognize someone made a mistake somewhere down the line and that it is an '82 Ski Nautique. Oh, and the deck was 82-86 not 87. Oops I did it again!

82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 7:36pm
FWIW, it's definately an '82 SN 2001

Remember this thread Mr. 79?

"Of course, vulgar language, racist comments, slander or personel threats will not be tolerated on this forum. Any questionable post will be immediately removed and the poster (i.e. registered member) will be subject to deletion and permanent banning from the site.

When posting, please respect all other members of this forum, first time posters and veterans alike. Feel free to disagree with others but please keep your comments positive and remember that each member is a person and should be treated with the same courtesy as if you were speaking to them face-to-face."
Life is Good.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 7:48pm
Jay, Paint and gel are two completely different systems. Re gelling is usually the complete hull or deck when the original can't be brought back to life with wet sanding and buffing. It is however a expensive process because it is labor intensive. Paint can be used for graphics and was used by CC until 81? (help me here on the year Tim or Chris) Paint is also a less expensive alternate to re gelling the complete boat. I must warn you that paint is exactly that and needs to be treated as such - very carefully! If paint is used, I highly recommend one of the linear polyurethanes designed for marine use such as Algrip. Do not use a automotive paint as they are not recommended to be in the water for more than a couple days. I feel Scott's (tiqueman) choice to go with the bottom line PPG Omni AU is a poor decision. Give us more info on the boats condition or better yet post some pictures. What exactly are you trying to do to the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Paint can be used for graphics and was used by CC until 81? (help me here on the year Tim or Chris)

Used on the Ski Nautique through '84, on the Barefoot Nautique through '85, I believe.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by tiqueman97 tiqueman97 wrote:

79nautique, you should...... Did you build it, gel it, do the upholstery, mount the windshield...... anyone can do that,

well sorry for the rest to hear it again but since he's a newbie.

Lets see, it will be shorter listing what I didn't do, so No I did not gel-kote the boat or lay up the hull or replace the stringers, or rub rail. Didn't build the windshield but I did replace the gasket's in the frame rails and did have it in the living room while I worked on in the winter. I also replaced the vent hardware with NOS from CC.

SO that would leave restoring the bow cover.
replacing all of the skins, foam and wood in all of the seats. I did replace the carpet, fixed a soft spot in the floor before hand. rebuilt the motor completely, bought a blanced long block but installed the motor and everything that goes on it. My buddy did the tranny that I pulled and re-installed, didn't know about Eric at the time. Spec'd and replaced the entire ignition system, would have been nice to use the system I designed the the Chevy Ilmore engines that won Indy in the ninty's but then it wouldn't have look orginal then so oh well. So what else replaced all of the sending unit's, hoses, vents, upgraded the electrical system, rebuilt the carb, painted the side graphics and bought vynil for the transom with help from Kieth, website owner, oh then there was the strut bushings, prop, prop shaft, replaced the stuffing box with a dripless version and some other stuff.

But basicly I bought the skins and a long block as my block wasn't rebuildable to start with, so I opted to get a performance long block that came with a 18 month warrenty to install.

Just basic stuff that many of my friends here have done as well. Basic restoration work that you do your self and DON'T PAY SOMEONE ELSE TO DO THE WORK FOR YOU.

That way you can Say Yea... I've pretty much built that boat.
JPirotte View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPirotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 12:29am
brainard-hey I would post some pics but the graphics are to bad and after all this extra curricular activity on here I'll wait..haha.

I had the whole boat wet sanded and re gel coated...most likely shouldn't have that is why I am trying to make sure I do screw this up. Something about a classic. )Side note is how can I tell I have a 81, my old graphics sure look like that guy getting bashed for think ing he has a 81 when it might be a 82'?)

I have a 81 CJ-8 that when hook dup to my 81' nautique looks pretty freaking cool. I am willing to do what it takes but don't want to screw the pooch and waste another 2g or so.

So I keep my boat our of the water except for when it is at Mom in P-cola for three days at a time so car pain should be fine/ I can tell them to use what ever and wait to find the right guy so if it were you guys what would you use? where is the guys thread on demensions and is the attachment he right stuff?

Sure wish I new about his about 4 yrs ago!!!$%$^%$&

PS 79 your are very opinionated but it leads me to believe you know a thing or two. Much love and thanks from all of us that don't!! The green kinda sucks though...haha.(I am using the pics to show the painter here.)
JPirotte View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPirotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 12:35am
Oh by the way..79 didn't read the last post by you until now....WOW.Seriously you all are a such a wealth of knowledge and for someone that doesn't( and can say so) have the talent or know how to do this sort of stuff you guys are much appreciated. Thanks for the time.

Cheers!!
JPirotte View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPirotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 12:54am
JPirotte View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPirotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 12:55am
Mine never had the correct craft on top?
JPirotte View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPirotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 1:06am
maybe this will help more

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 7:23am
Jay, I think I have the picture now! You have had the complete boat re gel coated. Polyester gel coat and not paint correct? Now you want to have the graphics painted on the hull sides and you don't have a tracing of the original. Well, the best way to have a paint mask made (Gerber mask) is with a full size tracing. Do you know anyone with a 81 that is willing to let you trace? A digital photo won't do it because it will not pick up the curvature of the hull. Here's a picture of what I suspect was done off a picture. It is a 70's hull just to show what happens when graphics are developed from a photo. See how the lettering and the stripe are skewed upwards and aren't parallel to the chine. It looks like a nice job but the graphics just didn't turn out correct.

Here's the way it should look.

Jay, It looks like Brian in the thread is trying to do the same. Maybe you guys can get together. A tracing that can be used to make a Gerber mask and split the sign guys cost.
Brian's 81

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 11:02am
Pete,

Original what, one good example and one bad example, that top one has the style but poor execution on the stripe not even close.

If it is actually a 81 then the files should be in the ref section. I thought Kieth uploaded Allens files and posted them or did they get lost when he change the formate of the ref section?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 1:55pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 2:12pm
Pete one of the years the Correct Craft is just like SN hull color, which is the way the '81 hull is in the barn. I believe 80 is when they used the emblem like what you have shown. remember it's not uncommon for CC to use old photo's, it think the only difference between the 80 & 81 is the CC on the side and then the transom's are different as well.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2008 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by JPirotte JPirotte wrote:

my old graphics sure look like that guy getting bashed for think ing he has a 81 when it might be a 82'?

tiqueman97's boat was an '82, how many times do we have to go through this???
SUNAPEE CROW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 12:30am
I have an '80 Nautique that is in need of all the cosmetic things that a 27 year old boat requires. Mechanicaly and upholstery wise it is clean but I need carpet and graphics. What is this Gerbermask? I would prefer to paint rather than "stick". Maybe there is a reason that drives one option over the other. Help!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 7:32am
Rick, Welcome to the site. Glad you found us. I'm glad to hear that you are planning to restore the graphics with paint. The Gerber mask is the brand of masking system that most sign shops use. It is designed for paint masking and is cut on the same equipment as vinyl signs. Don't forget to post some pictures of your project.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPirotte View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPirotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 4:37pm
Thanks guys, wehre are those link to the jpeg or files your talking about 79?? After further review ro less cocktails I do have the 82' so can you point me to the location of the current graphics please. You guys are my hero's.....I am so pissed I didn't find this before I re did the hull.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 4:49pm
Take a look in the reference section at the top of the page.

Here is a link:

Graphics
Greg

86 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic