Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battery location

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
clarkebar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkebar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery location
    Posted: January-18-2008 at 5:43pm
I have a question with regards to where the battery mounts my 62 claaic. I think up front some where on the left side. Please advise.
Thanks!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 1:20pm
Eric, I've been holding off commenting in the hopes that someone with a Classic could give you the exact location. All I can say is that being very familiar with the Barracuda which is thought to be the same hull is that it is under the front seat. On the Barracuda with a bench seat, a pretty standard battery (group 24) will fit. The Barracuda's with the bucket seats used a battery size with a low height to get a small lid on top covering it up.(it sticks above the floor a couple inches) Since you have a bench seat, I would have to say it would fit under the passenger side of the front bench.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
clarkebar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkebar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 7:23pm
Pete,
Thanks, I contacted a member with a 62 Classic and he said it was located in the middle of the front bench seat. I am going to glass a compartment for the battery when the stringers are done. I am rounding up the fir now and will soon order the epoxy resin and glass. US composites suggested using a biaxial 23oz cloth for the stringers and a resin with cabosil for the bedding. Your thoughts.

Eric
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 9:24pm
Eric, Excellent direction with the cloth. Some have gotten real fancy with a layer of roving and then cloth but I feel a couple layers of cloth is great. The thickened with cabosil resin will work to fill in any gaps under the new stringers as well as create fillets at the junction to the hull. Gaps under the stringers have also been filled with saturated fiberglass mat by some but if you spend the time to scribe the new wood to the hull you really won't have big gaps.

I think you mentioned that you did read the threads here on stringers. Did you catch the half round cutouts on the bottom of the stringers for draining water to the center of the hull? If you didn't, I'll run through it again.

Glassing in a battery compartment in my opinion is overkill! Originally they probably had a plywood box! I would may a "tray" for the battery and then just give it a couple coats of resin.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
clarkebar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkebar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2008 at 10:26pm
Pete,
I am going to copy the old stringers which have the holes for drainage. I will just make a tray for the battey like you mentioned. All I had to go on was two screws left in the bottom of the boat. Based on your recommendation I am going to completely strip the boat and re-gelcoat using a 2 qrt pressure pot. I really think it is best for her. Thanks again for your help.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic