Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10088
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 1:30am

Topic: damper plate test
Posted By: ripsaw
Subject: damper plate test
Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 10:42pm
pulled the damper plate as eric said. Cleaned up on the work bench and it didn't look bad. Springs look fine with no cracks. If I need to get another one so be it, but is there any way to test them before I spend another $100.TIA Randy

Replies:
Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:40pm
It's like the rear oil seal, while you have it broken down, might as well change it.

-------------
Tim D

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:47pm
did you remove a spring and test the tension?
lol, you really cant tell spring tension, look where the spring ends meet the plate, look closely then report the findings. those springs sit in a perfect square hole and the wear in the corners are often missed.
i automatically replace them if a boat only has 400 hours on them when i have the trans out

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: April-09-2008 at 12:06am
eric I looked at it again. I'm assuming you mean the housing holding the spring. I would say that is still square with maybe an 1/8" radius in each corner. Maybe I'm not following you.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-09-2008 at 7:53am
Randy, The only way to check a spring to see if it may break is to X ray and look for the start of stress cracking. Just change that plate!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-09-2008 at 10:03am
the 1/8 inch radius is wear

-------------

Date Posted: April-09-2008 at 8:10pm
10/4 will do. I thought gas would break me this summer, but the winter parts and repairs might do it first. Do you want to send one back with the tranny or should I be looking elsewhere. It was shipped fed ex today. Just an added note, 60 degrees saturday and the ground was white last night. Winter has to end eventually doesn't it? Thanks eric.

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: April-09-2008 at 8:15pm
Randy, he'll make you a good deal on a good plate...just call him the day he sends your tranny back to remind him to throw it in the box!

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: April-09-2008 at 8:24pm
works for me thanks buffalo

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: April-09-2008 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by ripsaw ripsaw wrote:

works for me thanks buffalo

Most welcome, he did a nice job for me. Mine was noisy and had the false neutral I've seen others here with recently. Now it's smoooth!

Of course, now that I've given him a compliment; you'll probably get 1 back that does 45mph in reverse?!!?

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: April-09-2008 at 10:47pm
it pushed MM's boat over 50 (he thought it was his engine) lol i still think he used a wind turbine to check his speed

-------------

Date Posted: April-09-2008 at 10:49pm
ripsaw describe it to me over the phone

-------------

Print Page | Close Window