Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10707
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 5:26am

Topic: Sticky Storage Hatch on ’01 SN
Posted By: LakeBoy
Subject: Sticky Storage Hatch on ’01 SN
Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 2:03pm
I am still revovering from the "replace the digital gauges" episode for my new '01. I got my wife asking "Now why did we sell the '95??!"

Now this:

Can someone please tell me why Nautique went to the gillotine style vertical storage hatch over the fuel tank?

I had trouble rasing and lowering it so I replaced the gas piston springs and lubricated the guides as well, and it is still very difficult to raise and lower, especially from the awkward position you get in on the back seat. It forced me to drive my 190 lb knees into the back seat which will trash the vinyl over time.

Even a non-engineer can recognize the crummy design since the seat/hatch creates a "lever" across the 2 guides in the middle which jam them since they are too close together.

Has anyone had luck in getting that mechanism to work smoother?

Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 2:10pm
Roy, Which boat do you own? I have the 2001 Super Air, and there is no issue raising the hatch. I'm having trouble visualizing what you've described. My buddy has a sport/air of that vintage, and there is a push button release at the driver's console, then the hatch raises easily.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 2:33pm
Mine is an '01 Ski Nautique and there is a vertical hatch that is the seat back to the rear seats. I raises and lowers manually in a vertical fashion, like a gillotine. There are 2 vertical rods the seat back glides on set in the center, about six inches apart. There is no switch up front to engage or lock the hatch.

On either side are 2 gas/spring pistons to aid in raising and keeping open the hatch. In this boat, I believe the fuel tank is flat, and the rear seats set on the tank. The tank extends aft and creates the shelf for storage accessed by the hatch.

Tough to explain. Maybe I can post a picture later.

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 2:51pm
I understand now. I didn't realize that the rear seat was intended to lift up as storage in the 01 SN. I had a 98 SN, which is about the same boat, and the rear seat back lifted out to access the gas tank. No shocks, no nothing. Not intended as storage. The only rear storage in the 98 was in the seat base.

Perhaps someone else will be along with more experience in the 01 SN. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 3:10pm
Yeah, you got the picture. My 95 had the lift up seats and they were fine. I store ropes and my jumper cables there. The hatch I have technically has more space. You could put a ski in there.

It is not much use if it is a pain to access.

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 5:20pm
The back seat lifting storage area was an option. The fact that mine doesn't have that option was actually pointed out as a feature when we bought it! Apparently there are not too many fans of that seat storage feature, since it also puts the gas tank under the seat so that the rear seat can't be removed IIRC.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 6:17pm
Count your blessings M3 that you don't have it.

Print Page | Close Window