Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10723
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 5:36am

Topic: locking ring on shaft
Posted By: captpete
Subject: locking ring on shaft
Date Posted: June-04-2008 at 7:20pm
Yet another question for the experts! The locking ring on the shaft of the '86 Nautique has lost the set screws - anyone know the size so that I may replace them without removing the shaft and taking the ring to the hardware store? I assume its purpose is to prevent the shaft from being spun in the event it becomes loose from the coupler.

Peter

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: June-04-2008 at 8:54pm
Peter, On the end of the prop shaft you will have a coupling with 4 bolts that connect it to the coupling on the trans. This is what I believe you are referring to. There may also be a set (safety) collar with one set screw in it. It's there so you don't loose the shaft in case it breaks behind the coupling or becomes loose from the coupling. Ether way, the set screws in the coupling are probably 5/16" and the set collar 1/4". Try a bolt in ether to determine the size and go to the hardware store. The coupling set screws are square head. The safety collar would be a hex socket head.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-04-2008 at 10:11pm
Thank you - it is the collar I am talking about.

Date Posted: June-04-2008 at 10:20pm
Set screws in coupling:

Square head

Cup point

Peter, You'll have to measure the exact length. They should be around 3/4"

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: June-04-2008 at 10:41pm
i think he is talking about the ring? 10/32 possibly

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: June-04-2008 at 10:52pm
It is not the coupling, it is the ring or collar that prevents shaft loss if it separates from the coupling.   It prevents the shaft from spinning through the stuffing box and ending up, along with the prop, in the briny (or fresh) deep. But, Peter, I really appreciate the pictures.

Date Posted: June-05-2008 at 7:53am
Sorry Peter but sometimes descriptions can get confusing. Still try to match the set screw needed with some machine screws you may have laying around. You could also just go and get several stainless set screws as they aren't expensive. Eric thinks you need a 10/32 and I think it would be a 1/4" so get both. 5/16" or 3/8" length should work.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: behindpropeller
Date Posted: June-05-2008 at 11:19am
Ring is 10-32 and the coupler is 5/16-18. I have a whole bag of stainless ones (5/16). Post your addy and Ill drop 2 in the mail to you.

-------------

Date Posted: June-05-2008 at 12:20pm
I just pulled my Browning and Dodge gear books and checked the set screw size for a off the shelf 1" shaft collar (safety ring). We might be all wrong. Both say its a 5/16"!!
Peter, double check like I said with some known bolt sizes.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: June-05-2008 at 12:52pm
I would say there isn't a standard size and it depends on who manufactured the ring and what they used. None the less get a screw that works then go to the store, or just measure across the threads in the hole, it's going to be the closet 1/16 incrument.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: June-09-2008 at 8:26pm
5/16 it is   picked two up at the local hardware store - stainless hex head Thank You.

Posted By: behindpropeller
Date Posted: June-10-2008 at 12:57am
Originally posted by captpete captpete wrote:

5/16 it is   picked two up at the local hardware store - stainless hex head Thank You.

Make sure you drill them so you can safety wire them.

Tim

-------------

Date Posted: June-10-2008 at 7:26am
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Originally posted by captpete captpete wrote:

Make sure you drill them so you can safety wire them.

Tim

Tim, Peter is replacing the socket head set screws in the shaft collar (safety collar) and not the set screws on the coupling so they can't be drilled for wire. I've never seen long set screws in the safety collar. Actually, many of the set screws in the couplings were never wired ether.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window