Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10816
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 7:31am

Topic: Cleaning Interior
Posted By: jerry.nichols@m
Subject: Cleaning Interior
Date Posted: June-11-2008 at 10:45pm
Is it OK to hose down the interior to give it a good cleaning and then let the bilge pumps do their thing, or even remove the drain plug from under the motor?

Replies:
Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: June-12-2008 at 5:04pm
Not recommended for boats older than 93'.. Wood + water= disaster..
Plenty of cleaning agents out there to do the job using a rag and bucket. Use Magic erasers on the tough stuff, but then apply a protective afterwards....

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Posted By: Randy_in_Ohio
Date Posted: June-13-2008 at 4:06am
Best stuff I've found to clean the interior is Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner, the foam stuff in the green aerosol can. Spray it on and scrub it with stiff brush. It softens the vinyl and makes it nice and white. follow up with a water rinse and finish with 303 Aerospace Protectant. The Scrubbing Bubbles is the best thing I've found to get the interior really clean and soft

If you have some mildew, Starbrite mildew stain remover works good with the stiff brush.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1602&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995" rel="nofollow - 1993 Sport Nautique

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: June-13-2008 at 9:20am
I have no doubt that scrubbing bubbles and magic erasers work wonders on stains (Ive used the erasers myself when nothing else would work), but be aware that theyre both damaging the vinyl. The only stuff that can be used and not damage the clearcoat is ePHx vinyl cleaner. If you just want to do some light cleaning, try some warm water with a little bit of laundry detergent mixed in.

Always follow up with 303 for protection.

-------------

Posted By: k.o.
Date Posted: June-13-2008 at 1:27pm
we always soak the boat when we come back since were in salt water. guess i learned something today don't soak the carpet

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7587" rel="nofollow - 86 ski nautique

Date Posted: June-13-2008 at 11:59pm
clearcoat, on vinyl??

I would stay away from the magic eraser, unless you have a really bad spot you need to work on.

Tim, I totally respect your opinion, but I don't think the scrubbing bubbles hurts the vinyl as long as you rinse it off real good and follow up with 303. It made my vinyl feel a lot softer than when I started. No damage here.

If you want to use something more mild you could use Murphy's Oil Soap. The previous owner told me that is what the dealer told him to use and what he always used, but it doesn't get it really clean and white like the scrubbing bubbles.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1602&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995" rel="nofollow - 1993 Sport Nautique

Posted By: Towman
Date Posted: June-14-2008 at 12:43am
I was told by Christine's only use a mild dish soap followed by 303

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: June-14-2008 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

clearcoat, on vinyl??

Tim, I totally respect your opinion, but I don't think the scrubbing bubbles hurts the vinyl as long as you rinse it off real good and follow up with 303. It made my vinyl feel a lot softer than when I started. No damage here.

Yup, vinyl has a clearcoat. Call G&T (the manufacturer of CC vinyl, and one of the biggest suppliers in the marine industry) and see whats on their list of non-harmful cleaning solvents. Its a short list and I bet that scrubbing bubbles isnt on it- neither is Fantastik, 409, etc. You wont notice the damage right away, and if you keep it adequately protected you might never notice it- but that doesnt make it a recommended practice.

-------------

Date Posted: June-14-2008 at 12:55pm
Tim,
I thought that the clearcoat mention was a slip. I guess I stand corrected. Do they apply a clearcoat to all vinyl or is it only applied to marine vinyl?

Anyway, I see your point, and if I had a new boat with perfect vinyl I would not use anything that was not recommended by the manufacturer.
But, my boat was 15 years old with the original interior and was covered with dirt, stains, and a fair amount of mold. When I started to clean it up, I started out with Murphy's, then went on to dish soap but it was not getting it clean and white. Then I tried the Starbrite mold and mildew remover (which to me seems even more of a strong chemical than the scrubbing bubbles), and although it did work pretty well getting out the mildew stains, it did not get out the deep down dirt and make it look white. So, after reading (I think on CCF) I went ahead and tried the scrubbing bubbles and was very happy with the results.
Now that I have the vinyl looking almost like new, I keep it clean with water and a small amount Murphy's followed with a clean water rinse and a generous application of 303.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window