Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10978
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 7:23am

Topic: Loose Rudder
Posted By: mcbean7
Subject: Loose Rudder
Date Posted: June-25-2008 at 1:49pm
Hi guys.
We were out at the lake on sunday cruising around and hit a branch/log. Right afterwards, I felt a lot of vibration coming from the back. I stopped, jumped in the water to check out the rudder/propeller. There was a small piece of wood stuck to the propeller. I pulled this off the propeller and it solved the vibration problem. But, I noticed the steering wasn't right. I noticed I had to turn the wheel all the way to the right (clockwise) just to keep the boat going straight. When I got home, I checked the rudder and noticed there's quite a bit of slack when I wiggle it. I think I loosened/broke something when I hit that log.
Question-is there suppossed to be any play in the rudder? If not...how do I tighten this back up?

Replies:
Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: June-25-2008 at 5:03pm
no there shouldn't be any play so to speak maybe a tiny bit but, you need to check the clamp block, and the connections for the cable and rudder to make sure nothing came loose, sounds like the cable got messed up and needs replaced maybe. Ss the rudder moves the steering wheel should too, if you are moving it quit a bit before the wheel moves then odds are it's the cable. Was the steering tight before you hit the log/tree as in you could let go of the wheel and it would still go straight?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: June-25-2008 at 5:54pm
Chris-thanks for your reply.
The wheel was not tight before hitting the log. In order to go straight I had to hold the top of the wheel at the 9 oclock position. When I let go the boat would drift to the right pretty quickly.

Date Posted: June-25-2008 at 5:56pm
I need to check tonight to see if the wheel moves when I move the rudder.
Also, do I need to take the tank out in order to tighten the clamp block?

Date Posted: June-25-2008 at 6:01pm
no the clamp block is forward of that and mounted to the stringer. Just make sure that the tube isn't sliding within the clamp block when the rudder is moved. Doesn't sound slike the cables bad just way out of adjustment on the clamp block/tube area of the cable.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: June-25-2008 at 6:05pm
OK. I'll check this tonight and will report back with my findings.
Thanks Chris.

Date Posted: June-25-2008 at 6:07pm
what year and model by the way?

-------------

Date Posted: June-25-2008 at 6:09pm
It's an 88 Ski Centurion TruTracII.

Date Posted: June-26-2008 at 6:20pm
Update-clamp block is tight. There is no movement of the tube when the rudder moves. Also, the steering wheel moves immediately with rudder movement. So after checking all this I took the gas tank out and checked the rudder mount. I loosened the bolt that holds the clamp that secures the rudder and took the rudder out. No damage seen. I installed the rudder back and tightened everything up. This took the extra play out of the rudder. I guess the problem is solved. I'll do a lake test this weekend to see how she steers. I hope that was it.

Posted By: rhschnauss
Date Posted: June-29-2008 at 9:26pm
when repacking the rudder gland, how tight should the steering be, before repacking, the steering would snap back to center when I let go of the wheel, now after repacking it stays in the position I turn the wheel. Which way was more correct?

-------------
rhschnauss

Print Page | Close Window