Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11034
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 7:24am

Topic: slipping transmission
Posted By: Captleisure
Subject: slipping transmission
Date Posted: June-30-2008 at 7:17pm
I'm visiting my folks in Iowa for the 4th and was hoping to fix a problem on there '55 Century Resorter. For years if there was a big load on the engine the transmission would slip, now if we run up above 2000 rpm it spins. The marina when they got it ready for summer said the fluid level was fine. I'm attatching pics as I can't even tell where to check the oil on this. Eric you've bailed me out before, I'm hoping the adjustment is just out of whack and you can maybe explain how to adjust the set screw on this thing. Any help would be great.

[IMG]

Replies:
Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: June-30-2008 at 8:52pm
call me on my celly 330-322-8817 or my shop in the morning 877-369-6693,
see if you can pop the top cover and take a couple pics and post. call me when you do and I'll walk you through it....if the pictures are something you can do tonight feel free to my house also 330-995-4037
Eric
there should be a set screw to hold the screw callor on forward, reverse should be a band with an adjustment also....

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: June-30-2008 at 10:04pm
Under the cover, you will find a rather large threaded drum. Its held in position with a special bolt with a un-threaded end that engages into notches around the outside. You may have to rotate the drum by hand to find this threaded pin. Remove it and using a piece of wood to prevent the small section from turning and tighten the outside section ONE notch. What you are doing, is removing some of the clearance between the clutch plates. I think once you get it opened up, you will see how it works. Don't worry about the reverse. I have never had to adjust it!!

The marina who simply stated that the "fluid" level was fine are F***ING idiots. Run do not walk away from them!! The boat is too valuable for someone who doesn't know what they are even looking at touch it. The "fluid" in the trans is engine oil. It's common to the engines crankcase.

Please go back in and edit your post using the enter key between your pictures.

Edit: Captleisure, Your statement stating that the trans has been slipping for years is bothering me. I can see a younger person picking up a beater ski/wake boat and not being concerned about what happens to the boat but I'm shocked that your parents would treat a wood classic in the same manor. Don't they care about it?? Wood boat owners do not treat their boats this way.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-01-2008 at 2:50am
Brainard sorry to imply this has been an ongoing problem in the sense that it was ignored. We've had the boat since 1977 it was the boat my dad learned to ski behind back in the 50's. Anytime we had a full boat load it would tend to slip at high rpm so we wouldn't push it. The boat has started every year without any major motor problems and my parents don't abuse it. This is the first year that were having an issue with it slipping more than 3 times a summer. I appreciate the mechanical advice .I wasn't aware that the engine oil is circulating through the trany. I'll pull the cover in the am and post some pic's. I had to rebuild my Borg Warner with Eric's parts and help earlier this year because I do abuse mine. I'm just hoping I can correct the problem with an adjustment before I have to pull it and put in a milk crate. Your right there are few good marinas let alone one that can work on a '55. Your in Illonis maybe an 8 hour drive I'd love to have some help.

Date Posted: July-01-2008 at 1:56pm
Captleisure, Sorry I got so wound up but when I heard that the slipping issue has been going on for that amount of time (even just a couple times per summer), I get concerned!! It really sould have been adressed a few years ago especially since it's such a simple and common adjustment. BTW, your folks should have a manual on the engine. If they don't, www.marineengine.com has them. One thing about the old Chrysler manuals is they are the most detailed (with pictures) I have ever seen!

Open it up when you get there and like I said, I feel the adjustment will be quite obvious to you. Just keep thinking that you want to reduce the clearance between the clutch plates. The extra arm above the shift arm on the outside is the reverse. Don't goof with it unless you have a problem. You don't want the reverse band grabing when you are in forward or neutral!!

Where are they in Iowa? There is a very good chapter of the ACBS around Clear Lake.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-01-2008 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Please go back in and edit your post using the enter key between your pictures.

It will make the thread easier to read. With the pictures stacked top to bottom, the thread will be narrow so it doesn't require scrolling back and forth to read each line!
Thanks.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-01-2008 at 5:03pm

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: July-01-2008 at 5:35pm
That is a nice looking Century. Is that a Paragon tranny? What's the canister to the left of the oil fill tube?

-------------

Date Posted: July-01-2008 at 7:43pm
Pete that was it to a tee, I moved it one notch put it back togeather and the boats running around the lake like new. Cant thank you enough. To your earlier question my folks live on Clear Lake and belong to the ACBS it was one of those things that came up so infrequently they never thought to do anything about it until now when it was an issue.
Eric thanks againg for your quick response and contact info, i'm glad I didn't need to bug you I'm sure someday one of the bands will break and it will have to come out, can you still get parts for this? It holds 10 qrts of Oil not a project I'm looking forward to.
not sure of the make I think it may be a chrysler marine tranny, the canister is a combination oil filter/cooler.

Date Posted: July-01-2008 at 8:36pm
Captleisure, Glad you got it! I'm always glad to here projects work out because sometimes Murphy's law takes over. Hey, Thanks for editing the pictures. I'm sure you can see that it's easier now!!

Bruce, he's correct that the trans is a Chrysler. They had always put together a true marine engine of their own. It wasn't until the tail end of them producing the marines (340 & 440's) that due to other lower cost marinizations that they really started using more standard automotive components.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window