Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11197
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 11:33am

Topic: noise when in gear on the trailer
Posted By: tapenick
Subject: noise when in gear on the trailer
Date Posted: July-13-2008 at 3:10am
Clicked the boat in gear on the trailer and heard a roaring noise. So reversed it and kind of the same.   Forward... got LOUD! Sounded like a bad bearing.   Didn't have it engaged long... just a few seconds.   Put it in the water, seemed fine.   

Was running it on a Perko Flush-Pro... may not have had the water on high enough?

Checked the trans fluid, looked good and the level was correct.   Oh, and the flush-pro is before the trans cooler.

Tom

Replies:
Posted By: 88 Nautique
Date Posted: July-13-2008 at 4:19am
Probibly the strut bearings. They need to be submerged. They aren't meant to be run dry. They will make all kinds of noise and you will wear them out.
If you are going to do this, please be sure there are no kids, dogs, cats etc. in the area. The prop will instantly kill anything it comes in contact with.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1657" rel="nofollow - My 88 Nautique

Posted By: behindpropeller
Date Posted: July-13-2008 at 11:49am
Thats the sound of money going out of your pocket as you burn up the cutlass bearing in the strut.

-------------

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: July-13-2008 at 12:36pm
not to bright putting it into gear on the trailer because your strut bearing is now toast.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: July-13-2008 at 1:22pm
Ouch!   Only did it for a few seconds... was that enough to toast the bearing?   

Someone (I think on one of these forums) suggested doing that to see if there was any wobble in the shaft.

The area was clear of dogs... not concerned about the cats. :)

Tom

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-13-2008 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by tapenick tapenick wrote:

Someone (I think on one of these forums) suggested doing that to see if there was any wobble in the shaft.

Tom

It wasn't in this forum for checking "wobble"!! It must have been over on PN, Wake World or even Tubing News where you saw it.

You really need to read our posts carefully! You must lubricate the cutlass with water and soap. Some use WD40 but I don't recommend it because the lighter petroleum distillates in it may attack the rubber in the cutlass. This is a in neutral gear check for trans problems or turning by hand and not under power for a quick check on strut alignment.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: ripster92
Date Posted: July-14-2008 at 2:27am
You MAY be alright... Probably not but. I recently replaced my front seal on a 1.23, if that's what it is. I threw it in to gear BRIEFLY to get the fluid moving throughout the tranny. It appears that they don't sound too healthy if not under a load. (ERIC?) It would chatter when off neutral. I did wet my cutlass bearing before hand. I got out on GL and it was fine.

-------------
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow

Date Posted: July-14-2008 at 2:31am
AND... you generally don't want to put your boat in gear when it's not in water. i was kind of in a bind at the time

-------------
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: July-14-2008 at 12:52pm
rip, they will make noise with no load, it may also be time for a damper

Date Posted: July-14-2008 at 1:10pm
Thanks for the info Eric. It sounded great and performed perfect while in the water though. I really had intentions of changing the damper plate, but due to GL I kind of had to skimp and get it back together for the time being. I am going to pull it apart soon and give it a once-over and put a new damper on.

-------------
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow

Date Posted: August-06-2008 at 1:15am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by tapenick tapenick wrote:

Tom

It wasn't in this forum for checking "wobble"!! It must have been over on PN, Wake World or even Tubing News where you saw it.

Maybe it wasn't... but it was just recommended again!

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11467&TPN=1 - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11467&TPN=1

Date Posted: August-06-2008 at 10:19am
that was for professionals only, dont try this at home
I always look at things from the repair side and may mis lead sometimes and possibly may not dot all the eyes and cross all the tee's.
im going to add to my signature line as a reminder before attempting any thing i ever write on these forums "common sense required"

a trained eye can pick out a bent shaft and i should have suggested the 100% correct way to check for a bent shaft. i was on a boat Friday and gazed back at the shaft in the boat and said to the guy "your shaft is bent" as easy as that. i seen the stuffing box going side to side. he said that explains my vibration.
When you do this stuff everyday and try to make money at it you have to find the fastest way of doing things, yes i could pull out the dial indicaters out and mount them and find out what i already know, and probably shouldnt publish the quick and easy way to do things. I was taught the right way to do it and after time things evolve and thats my quickest and easist method of checking for a bent shaft but do not recommend checking it this way

Date Posted: August-06-2008 at 2:49pm
Oh I wasn't trying to criticize you (Eric) for not specifying that.... totally understand how things that are a no-brainer for someone that does it every day get left off.   I was just trying to rib Pete a little for giving me a hard time about it.   Like he knows everything that's ever been posted here. Oh wait, he does. :)

Funny you mention the dial indicator... was planning to use one to measure the movement in the strut but hadn't thought of using it to detect a warped shaft. Duh. May be wasting my time measuring the movement in the strut - almost certain it's too much. Vince (skidim) said .003 tolerance for the entire driveline and I don't think that's a detectable amount of movement. But it's pretty easy to feel movement so guessing the strut bearing is shot.   Not sure the quick engagment on the trailer did it though, he also said a few seconds shouldn't have done that much damage. Would love to wait until the off season to tear into this but guessing running it that way could cause trans damage?

Date Posted: August-06-2008 at 4:26pm
nothing wrong with a little tranny damage, the bill wont be as big lol   
I forget sometimes that some guys dont even have a clue to what engine they have in the boat or how many cylinders it has. Im not refering to you but am refering to the daily phone calls i get and sometimes you have to explain things the same way as to how you explain them to your kids (my kids) who sometimes i really think they are smarter than some of the guy's i talk too

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: August-07-2008 at 1:10am
I like the signature!

So can it wait till winter or am I risking major tranny damage?

Is there a 'golden how-to'? (like your alignment how-to)

Date Posted: August-07-2008 at 9:51am
it can wait till winter

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Print Page | Close Window