Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11215
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 9:24am

Topic: Warner V-drive
Posted By: emac
Subject: Warner V-drive
Date Posted: July-14-2008 at 3:29pm
I recently purchased a 1992 Excel Nautique with 351 Pro Boss, V- drive.
The original owner kept this boat in immaculate condition.   However I have a question about the V-drive. I can find two places to check transmission fluid. The first location is just after the engine, the fluid looks great like it was just changed. However on the V-drive itself the fluid appears as if it's never been changed. It is a tan color with visible debris in the fluid.
I've found reference on how to change the transmission fluid, but have not found anything in regards to the V-drive. Thanks for any input. I love this boat, it's 16 years old but looks and runs like it's new.   

Replies:
Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: July-14-2008 at 4:21pm
its a Walter's rv20d 1.46:1 and on the tag on the side of the v-drive you will find the oil recomendations.....unless Donny boy wants to chime in...   

it should be SAE30 w, non detergent

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: July-14-2008 at 4:27pm
Well are there any custom bearings needed to check the fluid level?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: July-14-2008 at 6:47pm
special ground bearings only can use special lube only available thru Walters

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-14-2008 at 7:47pm
Eric,

Welcome to the site and stay with us for any help you may need. I'm glad you like the boat.

In case you're confused regarding the boys reference to the special lube and bearings, I'll fill you in. It's a inside joke when Don who I believe is the sales manager from Walters Engineering came on site, registered and started blowing off BS on how great the company was and how well engineered their products are. In reality, the V drive is a very crude piece of metal!! They couldn't even cut bevel gearing and had to put primitive "U" joints in the thing. These "U" joints not being a modern CV joint, cause so much cantinary speed variations that it eventually can cause bearing failure. Don't worry as you will probably get lots of life out of it. Do the non detergent 30 as Eric mentioned and if the day comes he can rebuild it for you.

BTW, CC only has one boat that they still use the Walters in.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-14-2008 at 7:51pm
btw....not anymore

you know, im a mild mannered guy, but out of 20 some years of doing this those 2 calls, which yes i was hung up on twice was the most unprofessional disturbing calls i ever made, i would sell my toilet handle if i could and help anyone with the last part in existance, i usually dont bash people but, I have too on this one

Posted By: emac
Date Posted: July-15-2008 at 2:53pm
Thanks. I'll take another look and see what model. Whats the easiest way to drain? With a suction out the dip stick? Is their really a special lubricant available from Walters or is this also an inside joke?

It looks pretty simple. What's involved in the rebuild for future reference and are there parts still available? Lastly how will I know of imminent bearing failure, will it just suddenly go or are the warning signs?
Thanks again for all the input. Sorry for so many questions. You guys now have me worried about this thing. The boat now has 534 hours.

Date Posted: July-15-2008 at 3:49pm
suction, keep oil in it and dont hit anything and you will be fine,
were kidding about the Walter's thing, it should be sae 30 for the back and Dexron Mercon for the front
alignment is also crucial on the v-drive boats, they are a shorter shaft and more rigid than a midship mount engine's shaft which has more length to it

Print Page | Close Window