Print Page | Close Window

Surfing/Ballast

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: Ski, Ride and Foot Talk
Forum Discription: Share photos, techniques, discuss equipment, etc.
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11246
Printed Date: May-12-2024 at 12:32am

Topic: Surfing/Ballast
Posted By: robesaw
Subject: Surfing/Ballast
Date Posted: July-16-2008 at 6:44pm
We have a '90 Ski Nautique. I'm interested in water ballast for surfing. Has anyone done this successfully with an older Nautique? I don't want to swamp the boat, and I don't want to spend the money if the hull just won't produce a wake.

Any other tips? After trying surfing, it's all we want to do...

-------------
Rob.

1990 Ski Nautique.

Replies:
Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: July-17-2008 at 1:42am
Ballast so it leans to one side & drive in a slow turn. Watch your temp gauge - it really works the engine.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: Z65P
Date Posted: July-18-2008 at 12:52am
I have a 1990 Nautique. We surf behind it on a regular basis. The ballast I use is as follows: I have two 33-gallon plastic storage tubs filled with water that sit in the back. I have no back seats. I use the tubs for storage when empty. I have a padded upholstered plywood board cut to match the shape of the tops of both tubs. The set up functions as a back seat and ballast. I use three 80 lb sand bags to fine tune the ballast.
When surfing, I put all three sand bags in the drivers corner of the rear and maintain a speed of about 9.5mph. This pushes up a nice wake with good surfable pocket. I have a Samson wakeboard tower. I use a short 15 foot rope with a 3 foot braid for an handle.

Date Posted: July-18-2008 at 3:48am
Wow thanks.

So will it produce enough wake to drop the rope?

-------------
Rob.

1990 Ski Nautique.

Posted By: Z65P
Date Posted: July-18-2008 at 7:50pm
Yes, you can toss the rope back in the boat. Or let it trail along side and pick it up if you surf out of the pocket.

Posted By: adamophoto
Date Posted: August-15-2008 at 3:33am
1989 nautique 2001 with 400 lbs across the back seat, 400 lbs along the side of the engine you are surfing, and 3 people... I was able to let go of my rope first day ever trying to surf - on a 4'10" skim style wakesurfer. Still trying to go a distance, but felt pretty good once we moved a couple people around the seats. Havent really been on newer boats too much, but two of my passengers said it was a better wave than their friend's 06 centurion and 04 super air nautique of some sort... I was impressed! While driving, i turned away from the weight while picking up a rider, and brought a bunch of water over the rail, so remember to turn into the weight and hit your own wake at 90*, or peeps get wet...
can't wait to fine tune my weight though, i'm sure i can get a better wave

-------------
"When you like to boat, they call you a boating enthusiast. I like to boat, but I don't ever want to be referred to as a boating enthusiast, I hope they just call me a guy who likes to boat."
Mitch Hedberg RIP

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: August-16-2008 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by robesaw robesaw wrote:

Any other tips?

Learn to ski better.
Move to the coast.
etc.
well you asked...

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: August-18-2008 at 11:25am
Another meathod...very adjustable!

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: August-19-2008 at 7:23pm
OK, so now I hear that the intense pressure can be bad news for the prop shaft. What say you, experts?

I spoke with fat sacs and they say 2x750lb bags and drop the stern to the rubber line. That sounds very risky. I think I'll try one bag first.

We got ourselves a short rope and a surf board - definately a lot of work w/o the wake.

BTW - Vancouver is on the coast...

-------------
Rob.

1990 Ski Nautique.

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: August-21-2008 at 1:55pm
Wow, hard to believe this crowd didn't have a comment on that pic?!!?

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: August-21-2008 at 2:31pm
Greg, no comment neccessary- its a Mastercraft. What else would you expect?

-------------

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: August-22-2008 at 10:02pm
BuffaloBFN, cool pic!

Sea-wall/surfing school

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: August-23-2008 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Greg, no comment neccessary- its a Mastercraft. What else would you expect?

Indeed Tim... indeed.

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Print Page | Close Window