Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11265
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 9:19am

Topic: pink trans fluid
Posted By: dcoll
Subject: pink trans fluid
Date Posted: July-18-2008 at 10:49am
I have a 97 SSN and trans fluid is pink in color. To me, it looks like water intrusion. First question:
Is it water intrusion?
What is causing the water intrusion, cooling line?
If so, do I have to remove the trans to fix?
What is involed in removing the trans?
Thank you all in advance

-------------
1997 Super Sport Nautique

Replies:
Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: July-18-2008 at 11:45am
how long have you been running it like this? it is water and the PCM's cant take water mixed with oil for very long
it will sieze the cast iron seal rings onto the drum and take out the drum and the housing. you may want to have your cooler psi checked.

get the water out!!!
what trans?
how long have you been running it like this?

Date Posted: July-18-2008 at 12:27pm
I bought in November and changed the fluid prior to winterizing. I noticed the fluid being pink then. I assumed that it had not been changed in along time and that was the reason for the color. I have taken the boat out around 10 times since the change. The pink is in the main trans and not the v-drive trans. I have family with me and are scheduled to leave tomorrow evening. Should I shut the boat rides down? There is a Correct Craft dealer here. Is checking the psi a major ordeal?

-------------

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: July-18-2008 at 12:43pm
replace the oil cooler and flush the tranny several times and then wait and see if it pukes or not, damage is all ready done so might as well use it as is until winter or it goes south

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: July-18-2008 at 12:57pm
My big question is, can I remove the trans myself and rebuild it? I will have all winter. So it sounds like I need a new oil cooler, root of the problem, and the need to rebuild the trans. How much is a new rebuilt trans for a 97 SSN? Or where do I get a rebuilt kit?

-------------

Date Posted: July-18-2008 at 1:47pm
is it a borg warner or a ZF45 up front?
it should be a Walters in the back

Date Posted: July-18-2008 at 2:02pm
Eric, I see that you are the trans guru. I will let you know what trans it is in awhile when I get to my boat. I am sure you already know what trans it is. I just want to know if I need to lossen up the engine mounts to remove.

-------------

Posted By: anthonylizardi
Date Posted: July-18-2008 at 2:04pm
When it comes to a rebuild I would suggest that you take it out but ship it to Eric unless you know a lot about transmissions. Transmissions can become a headache quickly if you don't know what you are doing. Myself, I won't mess with it.

Date Posted: July-18-2008 at 2:46pm
yes they do, today is lucky number 13 on the fix it again sam scoreboard

Date Posted: July-18-2008 at 2:55pm
Eric, the trans is a P.C.M. 40 L. I could not make out the ratio. It looks like I have to remove the V-Drive trans also. Is that true? How much would you charge to rebuild my trans?

-------------

Date Posted: July-18-2008 at 3:59pm
those i have to pull apart first to see the damage, new they are around 1100.00 thru JA or DIM, sometimes depending on the damage you are better off buying new.
i do have good cores missing drums and could be under 800.00 but i would need to see your trans

btw its a 1:1

Date Posted: July-18-2008 at 4:25pm
The transmission shifts perfectly. No noise at all. I know that I must have some sort of wear due to water intrusion. Would I hear or feel any noise in the transmission?

-------------

Date Posted: July-18-2008 at 7:20pm
I would think the first thing you would notiice is some slippage under power or at 3200 and nailing it and the tach spikes. you will not hear any noises.
water is not kind to the PCM's
i have heard stries of getting water in them in the morning and they are done by the afternoon
the BW is a little more resilant to water and can run longer if water enters
run it as you should and see what happens, and flushing it 3 or 4 times wont hurt, fill the trans to the top each time to dilute the old oil and then remove

Print Page | Close Window