Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11338
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 9:32am

Topic: Floor repair project
Posted By: robman
Subject: Floor repair project
Date Posted: July-23-2008 at 8:22pm
My stringers are repaired, now I have to foam and put plywood in and seal. My question is what type of Epoxy Resin and hardner do I need for 2 applications. 1, what/how do I coat the plywood with? 2, what/how do I attach plywood to the repaired stringer with?

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-23-2008 at 9:35pm
It's all in the previous thread you started by asking about the marine ply.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10889&KW=robman - Marine ply

Here are my recommendations again:
CEPS (from Jamestown distributing) for sealing the ply then a coat of epoxy. Mas, West or U.S. Composites. Attaching the ply to the stringers use the epoxy thickened with a high strength filler. #403 if you use West is a good example. Set weights on the ply to hold it down until the epoxy cures. West system epoxy can be found at West Marine stores or online. Jamestown and Mas have website too.

How about some pictures of your repaired stringers?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-24-2008 at 1:37pm
West Marine carriers a penetrating epoxy will that work as a CEPS alternative? when you say apply another coat of epoxy after the sealer do you mean normal resin #105 with slow hardner #206 spread thin all over top and bottom of plywood? I have never added a filler to an epoxy mixture before, would I mix the same 105 and 206 and then add 403/404(on web site) filler for a batch? sorry for the neophyte questions... I want to be sure before moving forward. I will post pic's tonight.

Date Posted: July-24-2008 at 1:54pm
Rob, I've never used the West brand of penetrating epoxy but would have to say it's not a bad product. Their name brands are made by others and may even be the CPES! Yes, the second coat of the ply will be normal unfilled resin and hardener. Then the same with the added filler will thicken the mix to about tooth paste consistency (or thicker if needed)for the bonding, filling gaps and filleting.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: July-24-2008 at 2:33pm
I used several fillers when working on mine, and I don't know the west #'s either. I found US Composites to be a little cheaper...and maybe a little thinner on tech support.

Cabosil is great for strength without adding much weight but is a PITA to sand. Phenolic microballons(luv that name! LOL) are good for areas that will need to be sanded, and talc helps the 'toothpaste' spread better. Mil fiber is best for strength critical areas.

I also mixed them for their best properties...like mil fiber and talc for fillets; mostly mil fiber with some talc to help it spread. Hope this helps, and know that I'm not a glass pro. Hands on will teach you the most!

There is a wealth of info http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9543&PN=2 - here .

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Posted By: kevin719
Date Posted: July-25-2008 at 12:55am
I have been using West products on my floor project and it works great! I believe that the number for the thickening agent is 407.Also if you go with west get the dispensing tops and life will be good! West does not mix 50/50 like most resins so the tops are made to use 1 squirt of each for the proper mixture.

-------------
kevinindy

Date Posted: July-29-2008 at 3:36pm
How do you spread the epoxy resin over such large areas.

Date Posted: July-29-2008 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by robman robman wrote:

How do you spread the epoxy resin over such large areas.

Use a roller. When mixing larger amounts of resin, it's a good idea to spread the volume out in a roller pan anyway. If you mix and put it in a small can like a coffee can, the heat is concentraited which will shorten the pot life. It will go on you in a hurry!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window