Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11381
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 9:29am

Topic: old bronze
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Subject: old bronze
Date Posted: July-27-2008 at 8:18pm
The date stamp on the old Federal Equi-poise is 64 so I guess after 44 years it couldn't take it anymore! Even with only 60 HP and only cranking at 3400 RPM (red line)it does happen. The last time I through a blade was on my X55 and it got driven into the boat bottom. At least this time on the Atom it missed! Making matters worse, I can't find my spare! I couldn't find it up at the lake and now I'm home and can't find it! Well, the spare is the original 54 so it's probably time for a new one. Now of coarse I hope Federal still makes a 11" X 10"!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Replies:
Posted By: The Lake
Date Posted: July-27-2008 at 8:22pm
That looks like a Craftsman Table Saw Pete.

Chuck

-------------
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=775&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970 - 69 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: July-27-2008 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

That looks like a Craftsman Table Saw Pete.

Chuck

Sorry Chuck but I need to tell you that I'm not, nor have I ever been a fan of the Crapsman line of anything! It's a older Delta.

I just got off the phone with my wife up north. She found the prop!! It's a 11" X 12" so the hole shot isn't as good and the reason I had the 10 pitch on it. Ha ha, a hole shot in the Atom!! It will work for now until I find another one.

I'm glad her memory is better than mine - But then again it seems wives memories are. Like something you did 20 years ago that you really shouldn't have done!! They remember.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: adamt
Date Posted: July-28-2008 at 12:00am
Hey, the most important thing is that the Atom Skier is o.k., Pete you need to be on-line as much as possible for everyone's sake, not doing repairs on your own crafts!!! You're too valuable here!!!

-------------
-Adam

1973 Skier

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: July-28-2008 at 12:21pm
Have you checked with a prop rebuilder? Years ago when I took my prop to White Lake to get it redone, they told me the price was the same, no matter how much was worn off each blade or if a blade was missing. They were sending props out to a rebuilder, they have switched now, I think it's in Virginia.

-------------
Tim D

Date Posted: July-28-2008 at 12:53pm
Tim,

It has always been my understanding that a missing blade is a no go with a prop rebuilder. There may be some out there that will but I really don't want to go that route. I'm sure the old bronze (not even a Nibral) has reached it's useful end of life. If one blade went, the other two may be ready at any time to give up.

I did call General Prop this morning and because of it's unusual size they didn't have one. (no 11") I did call up Michigan who now owns Federal and they are doing a field search for me to see if any of their distributors have one in stock still. The Equi-poise has been superceded with the Michigan Dyna-jet. this does have cupped blades too. I'll see if they dig anything up.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: July-28-2008 at 1:33pm
Pete

We still use a lot of the smaller prop sizes on our older ski boats in Aus.

Have a look at this site.

http://www.australpropeller.com.au/skiboat.htm - Austral propellors

Freight would be a problem though plus the exchange rate is not as good as it used to be.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Posted By: Munday
Date Posted: July-28-2008 at 7:15pm
If you can't find suitable let me know,I'll go dig in the barn.

Bob Munday

-------------
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.

Date Posted: July-28-2008 at 7:27pm
Bob,
Thanks but Michigan wheels "field search" is wonderful! I got home today and had 4 prop shops with messages on my machine. All were within 2 hours of Michigan sending out the email to their distributors stating I was looking for the 11 x 10 or 11. I'm impressed! Maybe because it's unusual size caught everyones attention and they thought to themselves "nows my change to get rid of one of those weird props I bought 20 years ago"! The Prop Shop in I believe Oregon, has something like 25 of them. Before I do anything, I want to get my spare on it (11x12) and see what the WOT is.
Thanks again.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Munday
Date Posted: July-29-2008 at 2:11pm
Wow I'd never have thought there were that many left!Glad you have choices too.

Cya Munday

Looks like old 10 inch contractor w/machined extension tables

-------------
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.

Posted By: Brady
Date Posted: July-29-2008 at 9:03pm
Munday
I believe thats an older unisaw

-------------
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda

Print Page | Close Window