Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11402
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 9:25am

Topic: PCM leaded fuel suggested?
Posted By: 76 Ski Tique
Subject: PCM leaded fuel suggested?
Date Posted: July-29-2008 at 12:47am
I am looking at a pcm 302 from 1975 that says it is recommended to run leaded fuel only. what can i do the guy i am considering buying it off said that it is fine to run unleaded and it only has to do with the valve seats. i am ignorant on the subject so any and all advice is welcome. thanks!

-------------
B.O.A.T- bust out another thousand

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-29-2008 at 7:38am
Caleb, The seller is correct. There isn't anything that will provide the lubricity that the old lead did. Run it and when the time comes to do a top end job put in the hardened goodies for the unleaded.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: horkn
Date Posted: July-29-2008 at 12:41pm
yep, My 78's was supposed to have been changed to seats for use with unleaded. I don't think they were, and it ran fine for years that way.

Now I have hardened ones since I went with the gt40p heads...

-------------
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg

Posted By: 74SkiNautique
Date Posted: July-29-2008 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by 76 Ski Tique 76 Ski Tique wrote:

I am looking at a pcm 302 from 1975 that says it is recommended to run leaded fuel only. what can i do the guy i am considering buying it off said that it is fine to run unleaded and it only has to do with the valve seats. i am ignorant on the subject so any and all advice is welcome. thanks!

You need to add lead substitute to your fuel. You can buy it at Walmart. I have a '74 Ski Nautique, and woulnt dare run it w/o leaded fuel.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Posted By: k.o.
Date Posted: July-29-2008 at 3:43pm
maybe a dom question but what does the unleaded fuel do to the engine that the recomend leaded??

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7587" rel="nofollow - 86 ski nautique

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: July-29-2008 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

You need to add lead substitute to your fuel. You can buy it at Walmart. I have a '74 Ski Nautique, and woulnt dare run it w/o leaded fuel.

WROMG BIG waiste of money doing that on top of it not being very ECO friendly to the water.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-29-2008 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

Chris,
Billy Mays has even got it priced better than Walmart.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 76 Ski Tique
Date Posted: July-29-2008 at 6:54pm
thanks guys! you are all a huge help! i really appreciate it. hopefully it wont be long now.

-------------
B.O.A.T- bust out another thousand

Posted By: 74SkiNautique
Date Posted: August-01-2008 at 4:59pm
I just called Billy Mays, and he said he can't beat Wal-Marts price...and hung up on me!

P.S.-It looks like he's gaining weight, I think I am a little worried about him.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Print Page | Close Window