Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: Repairs and Maintenance
Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11403
Printed Date: September-29-2024 at 11:23am

Topic: taking on water(Rudder Packings)
Posted By: 74SkiNautique
Subject: taking on water(Rudder Packings)
Date Posted: July-29-2008 at 3:09am
   I have a 1974 Ski Nautique which is taking on about 1 Liter of H20 per 5 minutes. When I removed my access hole behind the engine, I See a small stream of water running down the center of the hull.
   When the boat was on my driveway, I flooded it, and saw some dripping water from the rudder where it enters the hull. Can I tighten the rudder packings with out removing my floor? Do I have to take out the tank to do it?

Thanks

-------------
74SkiNautique

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-29-2008 at 7:33am
Chris,
You should be able to get in there without removing the tank unless you have really large arms. To repack it then the tank needs to come out. Don't worry about the tightness like you would with the prop shaft packing. Just make sure the helm still turns!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-29-2008 at 12:32pm
   Thanks alot Pbrain. I first thought it was a leaking exaust pipe until I saw the water in the center in the access hole.
   I'll give that a shot after my vacation! Im going slaloming right now!

Thank you!

-------------
74SkiNautique

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: July-30-2008 at 3:03am
The 4 bolts are probably leaking too. Re-seal those with 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealant.

Let's see some pics of your '74

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/DrCC-74/Ski-Nautique-05.jpg - My Seven Four

Date Posted: July-30-2008 at 5:07pm
If you go to youtube, search 1974 Ski Nautique...the videos are from in the boat, but still worth a look. If i can get your email, ill send you some pictures, I'll take more today!

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: August-13-2008 at 5:01pm
I Got to my rudder packings, and I was able to give the nut about a 1/8 of a turn. The stearing is tighter but I am still taking on water! Next time I take the boat out, I'll look under there while it is in the water to see whats going on. I might have to repack it this fall.

-Chris

-------------
74SkiNautique

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: August-13-2008 at 5:49pm
well was there packing flax inside of it? did you loosen the jam nut? did you adjust the other gland on the prop shaft? is the packing flax in good condition? Sounds like it's not adjusted correctly and/or missing flax or the flax needs replaced.

with the amount of water you are getting you need to fix it ASAP

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: August-13-2008 at 5:58pm
Yea...My dad did it. Um, we loosened the Jam nut...and could only get about a 1/8 turn out of the gland nut then we tightened the jam nut again. Its not the drive shaft b/c we looked at that in the water. We tightened the 4 bolts, those were loose but still getting water. We will check it in the water to see exactly what is happening.
Can you inform me what FLAX is? Thanks.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Posted By: critter
Date Posted: August-13-2008 at 6:12pm
Chris,
The Flax is the Packing around the shaft that keeps the water out.
There are a number of discussions on Packing on the site. Just enter Packing in the search and you will get about 19 pages of them.
79 was asking if you removed the Jam Nut and then removed the Gland nut and checked for Packing. You may not have any or it may be installed incorrectly or just worn out.
If you are leaking around the Rudder area it would be worth it to replace the old packing.
Be aware that the Rudder will fall when the top bolt is removed. I just had the wife put a jackstand under mine AFTER I was in the boat. Do not want to jackstand putting too much pressure on that rudder.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: August-13-2008 at 7:17pm
I understand. Thanks. Hmm...All we tried was tightening it. Maybe we can take the gland nut off and look in there. Well...The Gas tank will be in the way. If we replace it, then we will do it in the fall as long as the leaking is not getting worse. It is weird b/c we could go out for the whole day, and not pump the bilge, now it pumps every five minutes. What changed in a week?

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: August-13-2008 at 7:22pm
That is alot of water coming in to wait for the fall. I am not as experienced with the different years as most others on this site..
But I know that I did not have to remove my fuel tank in the 80 to get to the bolt and nuts. There was just enough room to get a wrench in there and remove the Nut and Rudder.
My packing was installed incorrectly and when I made a turn to Port, it would leak badly... nothing when turning to Starboard. But that is really not important.
Taking the time to fix that leak is.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: August-13-2008 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

What changed in a week?

well the flax got washed out of the glad is what happened and I bet the packing gland is all the way down against the port that's why it only turned 1/8 becuae it is bottomed out.

Also don't wait until fall to replace this get it done now you don't have to remove the tank, remove the bolt from the tiller arm at the rudder, remove the top bolt that goes through the center of the rudders shaft, support the rudder from underneith so it doesn't fall out, then loosen the jam nut and unscrew the packing gland and clean it out and replace with three to four rings of flax with each end gap 90-180 degrees apart from the next one and install and adjust on the water.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: August-13-2008 at 9:54pm
thanks for your help. What size Flax do i use? is it 3/16 or 1/4"?

-------------
74SkiNautique

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: August-14-2008 at 7:46pm
74,    1/8" or 5/16" packing, also sounds like you should drop the entire rudder log out and check for rot in the rudder block.

AT

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/DrCC-74/Ski-Nautique-05.jpg - 1974 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: August-18-2008 at 12:48am
Bad News! It is not the Rudder leaking! I got under there in the water, and the starboard exhaust hose is leaking. The last 1 foot section of hose that connects to the transom has a crack on the top. Water was shooting out at a pretty significant rate. No doubt that this is the leak causing all of the Bilge Pumping! I am hoping, by jacking up the gas tank, I can get the clearance to change that 1 foot section right now. Due to the condition of the hose, it needs to be fixed pronto! Also, the exhaust leak is pumping fumes into the boat!

Chris

-------------
74SkiNautique

Date Posted: August-18-2008 at 1:00am
Chris,
It probably has dry rotted and that is why it cracked.
You should at least check, and I would replace, the Port exhaust hose as well.

But good job finding the problem. Getting down in there is really the only way to be sure.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: August-18-2008 at 1:03am
Yea, I just need to order the hose. I would like to change All the hoses, but now, I am focused on that one section! Dry rot is the problem. After 30+ years, and the heat, it needs new exhaust hoses.

-------------
74SkiNautique

Print Page | Close Window